Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Former MSU point guard Keith Appling pleads guilty to second-degree murder

<p>Senior guard Keith Appling goes for a layup March 22, 2014, at Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena in Spokane, Wash., during their game against Harvard in the NCAA Tournament. The Spartans won, 80-73. Betsy Agosta/The State News</p>

Senior guard Keith Appling goes for a layup March 22, 2014, at Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena in Spokane, Wash., during their game against Harvard in the NCAA Tournament. The Spartans won, 80-73. Betsy Agosta/The State News

On Monday afternoon, former Michigan State men's basketball star point guard, Keith Appling, 31, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of distant relative Clyde Edmonds, 66, and firearm charge in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Appling was charged with first-degree murder for the death of Edmonds after a dispute over a firearm on June 10, 2021. Appling accepted a plea deal of 18 to 40 years for murder plus an additional two years for the firearm charge, to be served consecutively.

Appling, a native of Detroit, played basketball for MSU from 2010-14. Appling started in 123 games as a Spartan, and finished with 1,509 career points. Following his career as a Spartan, Appling went on to play in the NBA G league and professionally overseas. 

The star guard went on to face other criminal charges prior pleading guilty on Monday, including a year in prison due to carrying a firearm without a permit in 2017 and a drug charge for heroin in 2020.

The sentencing hearing is scheduled for March 3, at 9 a.m. 

Share and discuss “Former MSU point guard Keith Appling pleads guilty to second-degree murder” on social media.