Greater Lansing businesses offer support to the Michigan State community

<p>Snacks and refreshments are asembled for members of the East Lansing community at UCHURCH on Feb. 14, 2023. UCHURCH held a vigil for prayer and healing after a mass shooting took place on Michigan State University’s campus on Feb. 13, 2023.</p>

Snacks and refreshments are asembled for members of the East Lansing community at UCHURCH on Feb. 14, 2023. UCHURCH held a vigil for prayer and healing after a mass shooting took place on Michigan State University’s campus on Feb. 13, 2023.

On the banks of the Red Cedar, there is a community reeling from Monday's events. Businesses in the East Lansing area are sending out support in any way they can.

Various institutions in Greater Lansing have offered support through goods like free coffee, beauty services and experiences for students, staff and first responders that have been affected by the mass shooting on MSU's campus.

Coffee and Food

Foster Coffee Co.
Foster Coffee is a staple study spot for many people in the heart of East Lansing, and through Friday, the cafe offers free drip coffee and a safe place to unwind for the community.

Strange Matter Coffee
The Downtown Lansing artesian coffee shop is offering a few different options for free goods to the people of Greater Lansing.

Strange Matter is offering a free drink and bakery item to Michigan State students, staff and first responders while supplies last, as well as free drip coffees and americanos for anyone else in the community.

Sindhu Indian Cuisine
In Hannah Plaza, Sindhu Indian Cuisine is offering free food boxes for MSU students with IDs while supplies last.

Although the sign on the restaurant says closed, Sindhu is open for students to walk in and collect a box.

Beauty Services

Beauty by JG
In a Facebook post, independent hairstylist Jordynn Greeson, or Beauty by JG, said that her shop is offering a variety of hair care services to any student who “needs a relaxed, stress-free, and safe environment.”

Beauty by JG will be accepting appointments through her Facebook account for Friday, Feb. 17 and Monday, Feb. 20 for a free haircut, blow-out or silk press.

Recreation

Ingham County Parks
Ingham County Parks announced on Facebook that they will not be collecting any park fees through Sunday, Feb. 19 for anyone to get outside, take a breath of fresh air and relax.

Potter Park Zoo
The Lansing staple, Potter Park Zoo is offering free admission to any Michigan State students or staff with an ID.

In a Facebook post, Potter Park Zoo said, “we hope that our zoo can provide a small moment of happiness and a chance to take a break from the stress of recent events.”

Hotel Accommodation

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Okemos
The Holiday Inn Express in Okemos is offering to house students who don't have somewhere to stay or just need a place to feel safe for a few days.

In a post on Facebook, Taylor Brehm a public relations specialist at Central Michigan Inn said, "If you cannot get home and want a safe space to get some rest or are coming to see your kids please PM (private message) me."

Share and discuss “Greater Lansing businesses offer support to the Michigan State community ” on social media.