Board authorizes construction of Multicultural Center, reconstruction of Farm Lane Bridge

<p>MSU Interim President Woodruff and Trustee Kelly applauding the passing of a motion during a Board of Trustees meeting, held at the Hannah Administration Building on Feb. 10, 2023.</p>

MSU Interim President Woodruff and Trustee Kelly applauding the passing of a motion during a Board of Trustees meeting, held at the Hannah Administration Building on Feb. 10, 2023.

Photo by Jack Patton | The State News

The construction of the new Multicultural Center is set to begin in April 2023 after the Board of Trustees unanimously passed authorization to proceed with the project at its Feb. 10 meeting. The project is expected to be completed by October 2024.

Research and planning for the center began in 2019 with a goal of fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable environment on campus by creating a safe space for historically underrepresented groups. Student demands for a dedicated multicultural center date back to the Civil Rights Movement. While a multicultural center was added to the basement of the MSU Union in 1999 and moved to the second floor in 2013, the new building will be the university's first free-standing multicultural center.

"This free standing Multicultural Center is a culmination of over 50 years of activism," board chair Rema Vassar said.

The approved plan outlines a $38 million budget for the center, which will include meeting and study rooms, activity spaces, room for student organizations and a community kitchen. The center will also feature an outdoor amphitheater, prayer rooms, and a Dreamer Center, dedicated to helping undocumented students' academic and professional success. It will be the university's first ever free-standing multicultural center.

The proposed location for the center is on the corner of North Shaw Lane and Farm Lane, next to Shaw Hall. The area is considered protected green space but the board’s authorization grants a variance to the University Zoning Ordinance.

Vice president for Student Life & Engagement Vennie Gore said the project was led by two students with the support of student organizations, faculty, staff and alumni.

“This project is a culmination of our community coming together,” Gore said. “This truly is a university building.”

ASMSU president Jo Kovach said ASMSU first passed a bill asking for a Multicultural Center in 2017, and that the progess in the project today is historical.

"Today marks the history of MSU standing with students from marginalized communities and providing them a space on campus that is solely theirs," Kovach said.

The board also passed authorization to proceed with reconstruction of the Farm Lane Bridge. The bridge, originally constructed in 1936, will be replaced by a dedicated pedestrian bridge and a single span vehicular bridge, meaning it will cross the river with no central support piers in the water. 

The Farm Lane project, with a budget of $44 million, will also realign Farm Lane to include bike lanes between North Shaw Lane and Auditorium Road. Construction will be completed in phases to maintain pedestrian travel as much as possible. Beginning in March 2023, the entire project is expected to be substantially completed by June 2024.

The Multicultural Center and Farm Lane project teams will be closely coordinated during construction. 

Additionally, the board passed authorization to plan two on-campus projects: the renovation of Campbell Hall and an indoor turfgrass testing facility, as well as two off-campus projects: the purchasing of two Hagadorn Rd. properties to consolidate MSU Health Care and the building of a new MSU research building in Detroit.

Share and discuss “Board authorizes construction of Multicultural Center, reconstruction of Farm Lane Bridge” on social media.