Keon Coleman leaves MSU basketball team, turns focus to football

<p>Spartan wide receiver Keon Coleman stepped off the field and onto the court for the first time during MSU’s game against the University of Michigan on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022. He scored MSU’s final points of the game.</p>

Spartan wide receiver Keon Coleman stepped off the field and onto the court for the first time during MSU’s game against the University of Michigan on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022. He scored MSU’s final points of the game.

According to a statement released Tuesday morning, star receiver and sophomore guard Keon Coleman is departing from Michigan State’s basketball team to focus entirely on football. 

“Keon Coleman and I spoke at length this week and we came to the joint decision that it would be best for him to focus on his football career and not join the basketball team at this time,” Head Men's Basketball Coach Tom Izzo said a statement on Tuesday.

Coleman joined the team just after Christmas, participating in practices and dressing for the Dec. 30 matchup against Buffalo, although he did not play. 

Last year, Coleman joined the basketball team shortly after the end of football season. In his short time with the team, he played in six different games, collecting five points and three steals with 10 total minutes played. 

Coleman’s decision to focus entirely on football is not altogether surprising, considering an impressive sophomore showing with the football team. He earned nearly 800 receiving yards in 2022, also tacking on seven touchdowns.

Coleman hit the 100-yard mark three times this season. Most notable of those performances was the stellar showing against Michigan, where Coleman finished with 155 yards and a touchdown on five receptions. 

“Keon had a great football season and it’s in his best interests to take the next few months to get ready for spring football, while also taking care of his academic obligations,” Izzo said in thes statement. 

Share and discuss “Keon Coleman leaves MSU basketball team, turns focus to football ” on social media.