Wednesday, May 1, 2024

First bills of spring semester pass through ASMSU committees

<p>An ASMSU representative listens as colleagues critique his bill at a January 26th, 2023, finance committee meeting.</p>

An ASMSU representative listens as colleagues critique his bill at a January 26th, 2023, finance committee meeting.

The Associated Students of MSU, or ASMSU, held meetings with each of its three committees — academic, policy and finance — last night

During committee meetings, representatives can bring bills to their respective committees as well as act as a secondary to other representative’s bills. For a bill to go to the general assembly meeting it must be approved by majority of the forum.

Academic committee

The academic committee discussed and pushed a bill discussing making Michigan State a sanctuary campus.

East Lansing has recently become a sanctuary city which allows for undocumented individuals reside within the city without any fear of being deported or persecuted. ASMSU is trying to encourage the university to adopt the same policies.

“It's time,” representative for APASO Connor Le said.

A bill advocating for the modernization of clean water on campus was introduced and passed. Some discussion centered around technicality of the language in the bill.

“MSU water quality could have an excess of copper and lead which would lead to many different health issues, especially for MSU student body and in particular, students with perhaps this disabilities or immune systems that are not as robust as others,” Social Science Representative Anthony Barash said.

The goal is to advocating for MSU to create a public plan of action to tackle its water issue.

Policy committee

The policy committees’ main theme for its bills was increasing bus and bus stop safety on campus

Bills discussing more spacious and heated bus shelters, modernizing transportation infrastructure and increasing nighttime transportation were all put on the table.

Finance committee

Finance committee also discussed tax renewal and ASMSU’s Safe Ride program. The committee is looking to bring these bills to the general assembly meeting next Thursday.

Share and discuss “First bills of spring semester pass through ASMSU committees” on social media.