MSU alumnus Mat Ishbia finalizing purchase of the Phoenix Suns and Mercury franchises

<p>The Spartan Statue photographed on May 15, 2019.</p>

The Spartan Statue photographed on May 15, 2019.

Michigan State men's basketball alumnus and billionaire Mat Ishbia is taking his passion for hoops to the next level.

On Tuesday afternoon, it was announced that the United Wholesale Mortgage CEO is in the process of purchasing a majority stake in the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury franchises. Ishbia will take over for past owner Robert Sarver alongside his brother, Justin Ishbia.

Mat Ishbia was a MSU men’s basketball walk-on who went on to play in three consecutive final fours (1999, 2000 and 2001) and was a part of the 2000 NCAA championship team. 

Following his graduation from MSU in 2003, Mat Ishbia has continued to play a generous role in MSU Athletics, most recently by partially funding football head coach Mel Tucker's 10-year $95 million contract extension and extending UWM's NIL deal to MSU football, men's and women's basketball and volleyball.

"Basketball is at the core of my life, from my high school days as a player to the honor of playing for Coach Izzo and winning a national title at Michigan State University," Ishbia said in a press release.

While Ishbia's basketball career ended after his time at MSU, his dream of one day taking the reins of a professional sports franchise remained in sight.

Ishbia will be the third Michigan State alumni to become an NBA owner, along with Tom Gores who owns the Detroit Pistons and Dan Gilbert who owns the Cleveland Cavaliers. Once the deal is finalized, the 42-year-old will become the youngest owner in the NBA to have majority ownership.

Following Michigan State mens basketball's victory against Oakland University on Wednesday night, head coach Tom Izzo briefly mentioned all the things the program has to commemorate this holiday season.

"We celebrate a lot of good things including the three owners we have that are now with NBA teams, how awesome is that," Izzo said.

Ishbia stated that his pending purchase of the Phoenix Suns and Mercury will not affect his role at UWM and within the surrounding Metropolitan Detroit community.

"The success and growth of the wholesale channel is my passion as well as building great organizations and I’m looking forward to bringing my passion and expertise to the Phoenix Suns and Mercury organization as well as the Phoenix community," Ishbia said in a press release.

Mat Ishbia plans to take what has made UWM so successful, and apply it to the new foundation of the Phoenix Suns and Mercury.

Mat's brother, Justin Ishbia, will play a vital role in the transaction, as he will take on the role of alternate governor of the franchises.

Justin Ishbia is a founding partner at Shore Capitol Partners, a private-equity firm, and has a 22% stake in UWM. Similar to his brother, sports have played a pivotal role in Justin's life, as he was a part of a variety of sports teams in high school, including being named all-state in baseball.

"We are so honored to be, with approval by the NBA, the next stewards of the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury," Ishbia said in a press release.

The deal, said to be valued at $4 billion, will be the most sizable in NBA history. Mat and Justin Ishbia will take over all of Sarver's ownership and that of minority owners as well.

Share and discuss “MSU alumnus Mat Ishbia finalizing purchase of the Phoenix Suns and Mercury franchises” on social media.