Redshirt sophomore cornerback Khary Crump is taking a plea deal after facing felonious assault charges last month for his involvement in the tunnel incident following Michigan State football’s loss to Michigan on Oct. 29.
Attorney Michael J. Nichols, who is representing Crump, said in a video statement the previous felony charge against Crump is dismissed. He will plead guilty to misdemeanor counts of assault and battery, or simple assault, and disorderly conduct.
Nichols said both counts are punishable by up to 93 days in jail and a fine of $500.
Crump’s next hearing is scheduled with the 15th District Court of Ann Arbor for Jan. 5 at 9 a.m.
“It’s a step in the right direction,” Nichols said in a video statement. “It's a very positive step, but it's just a step for KJ. He wants everyone to know that he appreciates those who supported him. For those who have been hating, he says ‘Just stay tuned.’”
Seven MSU players were charged by the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office following the incident, with Crump being the only player to face a felony.
The players charged with aggravated assault misdemeanors were redshirt sophomore linebacker Itayvion “Tank” Brown, junior safety Angelo Grose, redshirt junior cornerback Justin White, senior defensive line Brandon Wright and freshman defensive line Zion Young.
Additionally, senior linebacker/defensive end Jacoby Windmon was charged with a misdemeanor for assault and battery.
Freshman defensive back Malcolm Jones was also suspended from the team but was not charged.
Aside from Crump, all players suspended from the team following the incident were since reinstated.
Support student media!
Please consider donating to The State News and help fund the future of journalism.
Share and discuss “Khary Crump takes plea deal after facing felony charge in UM tunnel incident” on social media.