Know Thy Enemy: Depleted Michigan State heads back to the road against No. 14 Illinois

Sophomore linebacker Noah Harvey (45) tackles a ball carrier during the game against Illinois Nov. 9, 2019 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Fighting Illini, 37-34.

Know Thy Enemy is a Q&A where the perspective changes from the eyes of The State News to the eyes of the student newspaper of Michigan State's opponent. This week, The State News' football beat writer Alex Faber spoke with assistant sports editor Jonathan Alday of The Daily Illini ahead of Saturday's Michigan State-Illinois game. 

After a tumultuous week, Michigan State is heading to the road this Saturday for a 3:30 p.m. matchup against Illinois. Ranked at No. 14 in the AP Poll and No. 16 in the first College Football Playoff rankings, the Fighting Illini boast a 7-1 record (4-1 in conference). 

Michigan State, on the other hand, sits in the basement of the Big Ten East with a 3-5 record (1-4 in conference). The Spartans will head to Champaigne shorthanded, thanks to this week’s suspension of eight players following Saturday night’s tunnel incident. In short, this weekend’s game looks to be a gut-check for a reeling MSU squad.

Q: What have you seen from Bret Bielema’s program that’s forced that surge this year?

A: "I think it’s mostly just been with culture. Obviously, it’s hard taking over a program and then hoping for immediate success, especially a program that has struggled as much as Illinois in the past. The culture has been really strong here. I think all the players believe the message that he preaches. They all believe they can win every single week. I feel like they never go into a game expecting to lose. They all prepare very well, all the coaches and all the assistant coaches, strength trainers, nutritionists, they all prepare them very well, so they feel confident heading into each week. Even compared to last year, it’s different. I think everyone has their own little mental blocks, and everyone had their own mental blocks last year. This year, every single interview with a player that we’ve had, they feel confident. They feel like they have control of the game throughout the entirety of it. I think that’s been the most single most impactful (change)."

Q: Last year, the offensive identity was super clear. Is that offensive identity still there? Is it still run first?

A: "The team dynamic changes when Chase Brown is not on the field."

"Given Bret Bielema’s history as a head coach, it’s still a Big Ten West team. They’re gonna run the ball first. I think the thing that’s brought them so much success is their willingness and ability to pass the ball. Quarterback play has been something that’s hindered them a lot the last couple years. I think Tommy DeVito has come in and done a great job. The new offensive coordinator has really shook things up, and just made everything a lot simpler — maybe not a lot similar, but more consistent. There’s a better balance. There’s a better game plan overall. They all stick to that game plan. A lot of coaches, if they feel like the run game is only going one or two yards every single play, they’ll try to switch it up. I think this team has just stuck to the plan week to week. If there’s a major change that needs to be changed, they’re obviously going to do it, but for the most part, they have a good plan. They prepare for their opponent well and I think that is seen on gameday."

Q: Is there anyone else other than running back Chase Brown on that offense that Michigan State should keep an eye on?

A: "Tommy DeVito can run with the ball. He will get out into space and get you those 10, 15 yards you need to sometimes just to revitalize your offense. (Opposing defenses) are really into stacking the box and stopping Chase Brown. He’ll (Tommy DeVito) spread the field and then just book it for the first down. Wide receivers, Isaiah Williams is extraordinarily quick, I think people underestimate just how quick he is. The tight ends aren’t as involved in the offense as in previous years, but I think for the most part it’s the Chase Brown and Tommy DeVito show. Tommy DeVito has been extremely efficient. I think last week he had 91% passing completion on 20 plus passes. Seeing that Stateline, for most Illinois fans, they’re just taken aback because that hasn’t happened in years. He just finds those open receivers. They know how to get the chunk yardage. They know how to get the first down whenever they need them. They’re just relentless. They’re going to stay on the field as long as they can. I think that’s what tires out a lot of opponents." 

Q: The defense has been pretty stout. Is this a player led thing, are there certain players driving that improvement, or is it scheming, or a combination of both?

A: "I think it’s a combination of both. There’s a lot of experience on this team. A lot of seniors that are playing at a very high level."

"They keep it very simple. Ryan Walters rarely plays zone. Ever since that Indiana game where they got beat in that last drive, they haven’t played much zone at all. They’re a physical team that is going to get on you man-to-man and they’re going to trust their players to make plays when needed — cover a lot of distance. As far as players, the safeties Sydney Brown and Kendall Smith are two players that make the defense work the way it does. They’re drawing the quarterback’s eyes a lot, I think that’s something that always keeps offenses on edge. They disguise their defense super well. You never know if Sydney Brown is going to come in on a blitz, because he’s going to be on the line and drop back into coverage 20 yards and make a play. There’s so much speed and athleticism on this defense that I think it’s hard to keep track of where everyone’s going — especially those pre-snap disguises."

Q: Score prediction?

A: "33-7, Illinois."

Share and discuss “Know Thy Enemy: Depleted Michigan State heads back to the road against No. 14 Illinois” on social media.