Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Evan's extra time stunner uplifts MSU past Milwaukee in first round of NCAA Tournament

<p>MSU senior defender Raegan Cox moves on the ball during the MSU Women&#x27;s Soccer game against University of Michigan at DeMartin Stadium on Oct. 9, 2022. Michigan State defeated the Wolverines 2-0.</p>

MSU senior defender Raegan Cox moves on the ball during the MSU Women's Soccer game against University of Michigan at DeMartin Stadium on Oct. 9, 2022. Michigan State defeated the Wolverines 2-0.

In the first round of NCAA Tournament play, fourth-seeded MSU women's soccer downed the Milwaukee Panthers 3-2 thanks to a score from graduate student forward Camryn Evans in extra time on a chilly night in East Lansing.

Fans filled out the DeMartin stands to see who would survive and advance.

First 45

Milwaukee got a quick start and netted a goal just six minutes in. Redshirt junior forward Natalie Auble was able to slip by her defenders and maneuver around redshirt senior goalkeeper Lauren Kozal for a chip shot. Sophomore forward Lainey Higgins was credited with the assist.

Despite controlling most of the possession throughout the first half, MSU could not put a shot between the sticks. They managed to put up 16 shots in total and seven on goal, but redshirt freshman goalkeeper Kendall Edwards was stout. She finished the half with seven saves.

The Panthers played aggressively the whole half on defense, and that aggressiveness resulted in two yellow cards. Higgins was called for one in the 17th minute, and redshirt freshman midfielder Senya Meurer picked one up in the 29th.

Milwaukee was only able to put up two shots in total in the half, with both being on goal, but that first goal was all they needed to enter the second half with the advantage. 

Second 45

After not recording a save all first half long, Kozal made her first save on just the Panther’s third shot on goal of the day. She finished her night with two saves.

MSU joined the yellow card frenzy as senior forward Lauren DeBeau was issued one just six minutes in.

After taking 17 shots that were unable to find the back of the net, junior midfielder Justina Gaynor decided to do it herself. She took the ball from the left side of the box and booted one past Edwards on the lower right side to even the score 10 minutes into the final 45.

Gaynor was all over the ball in the first 15 minutes as her second shot in that span ricocheted off the left goal post. 

The Spartans almost went ahead 63 minutes in, but the goal was waived off as the MSU attacker was called offside. 

After Justina’s goal earlier in the half, graduate student Celia Gaynor decided it was her turn to join her sister in the scoring column. With less than 14 minutes left of play in the final half, Celia floated her header over Edwards to put the Spartans in the lead. Junior midfielder Zivana Labovic was credited with the assist.

Graduate student defender Ruby Diodati dragged down a Panther in the final minutes as they were on the attack, but no whistle was drawn.

Just when the Spartans thought they would be moving on, sophomore defender Kayla Rollins snuck one past Kozal in the final 20 seconds to even the score up once again. Higgins, who took the free kick because of an MSU handball, was again credited with the assist. 

It was only the Panther’s third shot on goal of the half and fifth of the game, but it was enough to send the match into extra time.

Extras

MSU started the first extra time period firing as Justina’s shot almost slipped by Edwards. 

Junior defender Mia Hansen slid into a Panther a few minutes later, which was good for another yellow card. It was her first, MSU’s second and the fourth yellow card of the day.

Milwaukee could not muster a single shot in the first extra time period.

The Spartans stayed on the attack in the first half of extra time but could not get anything past Edwards.

Like the first half, MSU again came out in full attack.

Evans had a run down the left sideline that found sophomore forward Jordyn Wickes in the box, but her shot missed the mark to the left.

Finally, MSU was able to convert in the second half of extra time as DeBeau found Evans wide open to put MSU on top.

That was all MSU needed to send the Panthers home.

With the win, the Spartans will move on to play the winner of UTSA and fifth-seeded TCU one week from today at DeMartin Stadium.

Share and discuss “Evan's extra time stunner uplifts MSU past Milwaukee in first round of NCAA Tournament” on social media.