Bryce Baringer named Big Ten Punter of the Year, Ray Guy Finalist

<p>Michigan State Spartans senior punter Bryce Baringer in the team&#x27;s match-up against the Michigan Wolverines. Oct. 30, 2021.  </p>

Michigan State Spartans senior punter Bryce Baringer in the team's match-up against the Michigan Wolverines. Oct. 30, 2021.

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

Sixth-year punter Bryce Baringer hauled in multiple conference recognitions Tuesday.

He was named the Big Ten's Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year, the first Spartan to win it since the award's inception in 2011. Baringer was also named first-team All-Big Ten by the coaches, the first Spartan to earn the selection since Mike Sadler in 2012 and 2013.

Baringer had an impressive final season at Michigan State leading the Big Ten in punting average (49 yards per punt) and both the Big Ten and FBS in net punting (45.5).

The graduate senior also set a Michigan State record this season with 49.0 yards per punt, surpassing his 48.4 record set just last year.

Baringer is the sole punter in the FBS with over 2,300 yards on just 50 punts.

In his last game as a Spartan, Baringer shot a season-long 72-yard punt in Happy Valley against Penn State, the fourth longest in the Big Ten this season.

The punter was also announced as a finalist for The Ray Guy Award, given annually to the nation's top punter. Baringer is joined by Adam Korsak from Rutgers and Cinccinati’s Mason Fletcher.

Also receiving Big Ten honors for the Spartans is redshirt sophomore linebacker Cal Haladay, who was named second-team All-Big Ten Tuesday afternoon by the coaches and media.

Haladay leads the Big Ten and is tied for 10th in the FBS for total tackles (120) averaging 10 per game. He was also named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week in back-to-back weeks this season. Haladay's 120 tackles on the season are the most by a Spartan since Greg Jones in 2009. 

Elsewhere, redshirt senior wide receiver Jayden Reed was named third-team All-Big Ten as a return specialist by the media and an honorable mention by the coaches. Redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Simeon Barrow and fifth-year defensive tackle Jacob Slade were named honorable mentions by the coaches and media while fifth-year safety Xavier Henderson was named an honorable mention by the media.

Share and discuss “Bryce Baringer named Big Ten Punter of the Year, Ray Guy Finalist” on social media.