Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Reports: College Football Playoff to expand to 12 teams

<p>Michigan State University&#x27;s Spartan Stadium photographed on Aug. 23, 2019.</p>

Michigan State University's Spartan Stadium photographed on Aug. 23, 2019.

According to multiple reports, the College Football Playoff's Board of Managers have unanimously approved to expand the CFP from four to 12 teams. The official start date for this new format has yet to be determined, but it could be implemented as soon as 2024 or as late as 2026.

The new format will feature the six conference champions and six highest-ranked reamining at-large teams. Four of the highest-ranked conference champions will receive a first-round bye, while the other eight teams will play either on-campus or in a designated location. Previously, the four-team field was determined by a selection committee and all three games were played at neutral sites.  

The agreement reverses earlier decisions after a long debate and a failed conference alliance. 

MSU made its lone appearance in the CFP in 2016, where it lost to Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. If this 12-team bracket were implemented last season, the Spartans would have been a part of the Playoff, based on their finish in the final CFP Poll.

Share and discuss “Reports: College Football Playoff to expand to 12 teams” on social media.