ASMSU announces new health and safety programs during summer session

<p>ASMSU members via zoom join in on the discussion of the future budget. The ASMSU Elections were held in the Student Services Building Conference Room, on April 20, 2022, with Michigan State Junior Jordan Kovach becoming the next ASMSU President.</p>

ASMSU members via zoom join in on the discussion of the future budget. The ASMSU Elections were held in the Student Services Building Conference Room, on April 20, 2022, with Michigan State Junior Jordan Kovach becoming the next ASMSU President.

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, hosted its final summer session general assembly meeting on Aug. 25. The meeting included representative introductions, two GA resignments and health and safety announcements.

Resignments

Former Residential College in the Arts and Humanities representative Alissa Hakim announced that she will begin a new position at ASMSU as the Diversity and Inclusion Programming Coordinator. Hakim said she looks forward to continuing working with ASMSU and is excited for what she can accomplish with her new position.

“With my new position, I hope to not only work alongside staff but hand in hand with the (general assembly) as well,” Hakim said.

ASMSU President Jordan Kovach announced that former College of Communication Arts and Sciences representative Sophie Sass also resigned.

Health and safety

ASMSU Vice President of Finance and Operations Vipul Adusumilli reported that the MSU Safe Ride program will begin on Sept. 12. Two vans will be available from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Sunday and an additional third van will be running Thursday night to Saturday night. 

After many meetings with the Michigan State University Police Department, Vice President Ishaan Modi announced a successfully completed lighting campaign on campus. 

“You should be able to notice brighter LED lights around campus as opposed to the dimmer lights from the past,” Modi said.

Modi has also met with Ingham County Health Department officials to discuss protocols regarding monkeypox and COVID-19. A COVID-19 booster clinic will be held in the Breslin Center on Aug. 31.

Kovach reported that free menstrual products will be available in the female and all-gender first-floor bathrooms of all academic and student-facing buildings, a program they hope to expand in the future.

“We’re going to continue this advocacy until it reaches our fullest extent of all restrooms throughout campus,” Kovach said.

Kovach said they have also spoken with MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. about bringing back an option for COVID-19 testing on campus, though no program has been implemented as of now.

Share and discuss “ASMSU announces new health and safety programs during summer session” on social media.