State of Michigan approves funding increase for university

<p>The Spartan Statue on Sept. 17, 2019.</p>

The Spartan Statue on Sept. 17, 2019.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

The State of Michigan approved a funding increase for Michigan State University in its $75.7 billion 2022-23 fiscal year budget. This is the largest increase in over 10 years at a 4% boost, totaling an additional $72.2 million on top of $303.7 million in base funding.

Michigan ranks 49th in state funding, Media and Public Information Communications Manager Mark Bullion said.

“Historically … state funding has been on the lower side over the last several decades,” Bullion said. "We're hopeful this will set us on a more positive financial trajectory as we work to make higher education more affordable."

The majority of state funding is used toward general university operations.

“We’re talking about infrastructure, making sure the grass is cut, snowplow services, gas, electric, all the critical components that allow the university to operate at full capacity,” Bullion said. “I know that’s a big portion of it, not all of it, but necessary.”

The additional funding of $72.2 million will be used for projects and programs across campus. Renovations at the greenhouse complexes and Dairy Cattle Teaching and Research Center will use $53 million of the funding.

The remainder of the funding, $15 million, will benefit the Center for Targeted Violence Prevention and $3 million will go toward the Apple Developer Academy.

This comes after the MSU Board of Trustees approved a 3% increase for the 2022-23 academic year. Last June, the trustees set this budget for the coming three years, counting for inflation. The university will also be making a larger investment in financial aid. Deputy spokesperson Dan Olsen said after the board meeting that this would contribute to offsetting that 3% increase for families with incomes lower than $75,000.

“Michigan State University appreciates and thanks Governor Gretchen Whitmer and the state legislature for their critical investment in higher education this year,” President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. said in a press release. “Funding from the state is essential in supporting our mission and values in providing a quality, equitable, best-in-class education.”

Share and discuss “State of Michigan approves funding increase for university” on social media.