PHOTOS: Adreian Payne through the years at MSU

<p>Then-senior forward Adreian Payne reacts to a foul called against him March 28, 2014, during the game against Virginia at Madison Square Garden in New York City during the NCAA tournament. The Spartans won, 61-59. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Then-senior forward Adreian Payne reacts to a foul called against him March 28, 2014, during the game against Virginia at Madison Square Garden in New York City during the NCAA tournament. The Spartans won, 61-59. Julia Nagy/The State News

Photo by Julia Nagy | The State News

Ex-MSU basketball star Adreian Payne died earlier this week in an apparent shooting in Florida. During his time at MSU, there were many highlights including big wins and a special relationship with a child with cancer. We look back on his time here.

eah_bkc_big10tournament013_031614

Forward Adreian Payne holds up the net with St. Johns resident Lacey Holsworth, 8, on March 16, 2014, after the game against Michigan at the Big Ten Championship at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 69-55.

mtr_bkc_pennstate05_021011

Center Adreian Payne goes over a play with Head Coach Tom Izzo at the Breslin Center.

mtr_bkc_bigteniowa05_031011

Center Adreian Payne shoots over Iowa forward Melsahn Basabe at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Spartans kicked off the 2011 Big Ten Tournament with a 66-61 victory over the Hawkeyes.

jbr_bkc_carrierclassic14_111011

Center Adreian Payne goes up for a jump shot during practice for the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic on board the U.S.S. Carl Vinson at Naval Base Coronado in Coronado, CA.

jbr_bkc_carrierclassic23_111011

Then-sophomore center Adreian Payne takes a shot during practice for the Quicken Loans Carrier Classic on board the U.S.S. Carl Vinson at Naval Base Coronado in Coronado, CA.

dmm-new-lacey01-041714

Center Adreian Payne dunks the ball during a moment of silence for Lacey Holsworth at a memorial service April 17, 2014, at the Breslin Center. The memorial service, open to the public, featured a musical performance by her piano teacher, a dance performance by her dance teacher and video slideshows of her life.

dmm-new-lacey02-041714

Center Adreian Payne stands with the team while watching a video of Lacey Holsworth's relationship with the basketball team at a memorial service April 17, 2014, at Breslin Center.

jbr_bkc_illinois2_022011

Center Adreian Payne finger rolls the ball into the basket in the Spartans' 61-57 victory over the Fighting Illini at the Breslin Center. 

jn_bkc_minnesota_16_011114

Forward Adreian Payne talks to former assistant coach Dan Fife during the game against Minnesota on Jan. 11, 2014, at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Gophers in overtime, 87-75.

jn_bkw_iowa_23_030714

Then-senior center Adreian Payne holds St. Johns resident Lacey Holsworth, 8, on March 6, 2014, at Breslin Center after the game against Iowa during Senior Night. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes 86-76. 

mdh_bkc_uofm19_011711

Center Adreian Payne jumps for a slam dunk at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines 60-59. 

jbr_bkc_um13_030511

Center Adreian Payne knocked the ball away from the net and was called for goaltending. The Spartans lost to the Wolverines, 70-63, at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor.

Share and discuss “PHOTOS: Adreian Payne through the years at MSU” on social media.