Sunday, April 28, 2024

Joey Brunk’s unexpected night compounds MSU’s frustrating loss to Ohio State

<p>Graduate student center Joey Brunk shoots over junior forward Julius Marble II during the Buckeye&#x27;s 80-69 win over the Spartans on Mar. 3, 2022.</p>

Graduate student center Joey Brunk shoots over junior forward Julius Marble II during the Buckeye's 80-69 win over the Spartans on Mar. 3, 2022.

As he walked to the table, the tattoos stood out. On his left thigh, just below the edge of his shorts, “Take It Easy” was inked in tight cursive. Scrawled across his right arm, “Embrace Your Journey”; below, what looked like a waterfall trickling through some rocks. 

The one that was most visible was simultaneously the most cryptic: a small mountain range above his left elbow, a tiny sun just beginning to shine through twin peaks. As graduate-transfer center Joey Brunk leaned forward to take questions under a lone spotlight, his voice echoing through the Schottenstein Center via an open microphone feed, that little sun got a little more shine than normal as he recalled the scene going into Thursday night’s game. 

“We knew we needed to get back on track, go out and compete,” Brunk said, bringing some personal context to the simple range on his arm. “Sun came up today, and it’s gonna come up tomorrow, regardless of whether we win or lose, and (the) same thing’s gonna happen Sunday (and) Monday.” 

Minutes before, senior forward Gabe Brown sat in the same seat as Brunk and looked as dejected as ever. There was nothing around to symbolize “taking it easy” or “embracing the journey.” 

On a team that might be embracing desperation instead, Brown didn’t seem like he was all that interested in waiting to see the sunrise either. 

“I’m frustrated, for sure,” Brown admitted, his voice also echoing through the arena. “I’m frustrated because I want to win as bad as anybody, and I know Coach wants to win, and I know my teammates want to win, but we gotta keep chipping; we gotta keep digging.” 

Playing alongside future NBA talents like junior forward E.J. Liddell and freshman guard Malaki Branham, it was Brunk, of all people, who stole the show in an 80-69 win over Michigan State on Thursday night. Coming into the game averaging 1.3 points per game, Brown admitted his team didn’t scout him, and the veteran center made the most of his third start of the year with a season-high 18 points in 33 minutes, two shy of his career-high in five long seasons of college basketball. 

“In their defense, I didn’t have a whole lot to show on film for them,” Brunk said.

It’s yet another loss for the Spartans, compounded by something between the absurd and borderline baffling. This was never supposed to be Brunk’s moment after he transferred to Ohio State from Indiana by way of Butler after a slew of injuries for one final season on the hardwood — or, at least, riding the pine adjacent to it. 

But, it did indeed happen, a true rarity starting when he won the opening tip and ending with his thunderous dunk in the final minutes. The curious scene of a bench-warming center drawing MVP chants from the Schottenstein crowd was summed up perfectly when Brunk was asked about what stood out to him the most from his team’s bounce-back win: 

“My favorite moment was when the clock ran out, and we were celebrating as a team,” Brunk said earnestly. 

“He’s lying,” Liddell said, sitting next to him for questions. “It was definitely the dunk.” 

“I don’t think I’ve had an in-game dunk in over, probably, two years,” Brunk deadpanned before a laugh.  

Nor was this the way it was supposed to go for Brown after waiting in the wings for three years to be the go-to guy for Michigan State. The senior co-captain tallied a team-high 13 points, but the Buckeyes — and Brunk — continued to pound away and sustain double-digit leads the Spartans couldn’t find a way to overcome for the vast majority of the game. 

After battling through a prolonged shooting slump, Brown regained his stroke, only for the team to drop yet another game and continue a lengthy skid that an upset win over Purdue provided a brief respite from. Now, instead of rallying down the stretch to a rollicking close, things have only gotten murkier than ever, another rarity in and of itself for Brown’s four years at Michigan State. 

On two teams going in vastly different directions, Brunk and Brown’s respective roles and paths could not be more different. And yet, Brunk’s unexpected night brought some similarities between the two to light. 

Some are of the simple and circumstantial variety: both are relatively soft-spoken after games. Despite their teams’ fortunes, both are going in the same direction themselves — that is, towards the end of their college careers. 

More intriguing, both view themselves as the sparkplug for their respective teams. Brown’s “Energizer Bunny” tendencies are no secret at this point, but who really knew that was Brunk’s style, too?

“Since I’ve been 15 or 16 years old, I’ve always kinda been a spaz and played with emotion,” he said. “That’s just kinda been who I am. ... I definitely play with passion; I feed off the crowd. It’s just part of me.”

Two days after Michigan sophomore center Hunter Dickinson torched Michigan State for a career-high 33 points, Brunk insisted his play wasn’t inspired by Dickinson’s dominating night but, rather, something that just worked out as his energy provided a confidence that helped buoy his team forward. 

“I just wanted to play my game and do what I felt confident doing in the flow of the game,” he said. “We saw the (Michigan) film, but it wasn’t like, ‘Hey, I’m gonna do this (or) XYZ.’ It was just whatever the flow of the game provided.” 

As for Brown, he found a touch of that flow when he launched a three in the first half, bringing Michigan State within two points of the Buckeyes. The slim deficit remained fleeting as Ohio State didn’t waste time to put its foot on the gas, once again, and effectively pulled ahead for good, with Brown’s energy fizzling into only further frustration. 

The next time they take the floor, it will be Senior Night for Brown and Brunk. Both will be cheered on and honored for their time with each program, no matter how long it was. Then it’ll be off to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Tournament and, after that, an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. Sometime soon, the ride will end for the two of them. 

For Brunk, a night like this might not happen again. The gentle smile on his face following an unforgettable performance disappeared when discussing the burning desire to win at all costs. 

“Winning is (the) number one priority,” Brunk said. “Everything else takes a backseat.” 

As for Brown, this very well could happen again. There was never a smile to begin with. 

“At this point, I just want to win,” Brown said.

Share and discuss “Joey Brunk’s unexpected night compounds MSU’s frustrating loss to Ohio State” on social media.