GSCC hosts its second queering racial justice summit

<p>GSCS hosted the &quot;Queering Racial Justice Summit&quot; this past weekend on March 18 and 19. </p>

GSCS hosted the "Queering Racial Justice Summit" this past weekend on March 18 and 19.

Photo by Madison Echlin | The State News

The Gender and Sexuality Campus Center, or GSCC, hosted its Queering Racial Justice Summit this weekend. The goal of the summit is to unite students across racial and ethnic backgrounds and across the LGBTQ and queer communities to discuss racial justice.

Last year, the summit was virtual due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Students were excited to see it revamped. “The first year it was back, was last year in 2021,” professional and public writing junior Charlotte Bachelor said. “I was a peer facilitator, but it looked a lot different because of COVID and us being on zoom.”

Bachelor emphasizes the importance of learning positionality on certain topics. “I’m learning a lot of the white supremacy that we’re indoctrinated to,” she explained. “We’re really coming face-to-face with our white peers and saying ‘Hey, this is how you can serve us.’”

The event brought keynote speakers such as V. Soul and L. Tantay, who shared their experiences discovering sexuality. There were also sessions led by student facilitators, who got the opportunity to engage with fellow students in works of unrelated racism and skill building for the betterment of a more inclusive LGBTQ+ community at State.

Students say this summit was educational, informative and reflective. “I was really excited to be able to attend and be a peer facilitator this year around,” fisheries and wildlife junior Maggie Haite said. “I think it’s been really fantastic for really being able to facilitate those deep and meaningful conversations.

Haite mentions that people who don’t identify as being queer or on the LGBTQ+ spectrum can learn from something like this, stating that people can take what was taught at the summit and take it back to their communities. “Trying to delve in and not tear down but really be more intentional,” Haite said. “Creating a culture of care and creating a culture of accountability and having that can be the norm in their general relationships.”

Students can access the GSCC by visiting their website or by visiting room 302 of the Student Services Building. The GSCC provides safer sex supplies, needle drop off and finding gender affirming care in the East Lansing Area.

Share and discuss “GSCC hosts its second queering racial justice summit” on social media.