The fashion at MSU’s Honors College Ball was out of this world

<p>During the Honors College ball, the students started a conga line on the dance floor. Shot Feb. 19, 2022.</p>

During the Honors College ball, the students started a conga line on the dance floor. Shot Feb. 19, 2022.

Photo by Madison Norfleet | The State News

Michigan State University’s Honors College held their annual ball last Friday — this year with a space theme — and the fashion was out of this world. Students broke out outfits from previous dances, DIY-ed their looks and represented their cultures while dancing under the cellophane stars.

Anthropology and economics freshman Emma Nicolaysen borrowed a vintage dress from her roommate, which she said was powder blue and had a “very 50s housewife kind of a vibe.”

The tea-length dress had a fitted bodice and a light cape that fell over Nicolaysen’s shoulders. It had a charming Peter Pan collar, and she paired the dress with a quirky pair of converse wedges. 

“It also stands out in it’s own way, and everyone wants to be doing that with their clothes,” Nicolaysen said.

Animal science freshman Zachary Stebbins said he defines his personal style aesthetic as simplistic.

“I try not to have too many colors,” Stebbins said. “I like my outfit to blend together.”

Stebbins said he tries not to wear more than three colors at a time, and for this occasion, he sported Japanese trousers in dark burgundy, matched with a simple white button-up. Stebbins was accessorized to perfection with “Euphoria”-esque star makeup, subtle gold hoops and rings. 

Biosystems engineer preference freshman Arianna Fobbs rocked her old prom dress, an utterly elegant and daring red piece with a chic shoulder cut out.

“The reason why I bought it is because I could wear it for multiple occasions,” she said. “I just liked how the cut was and how it looked so sleek and amazing.” 

Keeping with the outer space theme, biology sophomore Tasnim Ahmed wore an elegant lace dress, absolutely covered in sparkles, paired with a silver hijab.

“I thought of like, glittery, outer space as filled with little specks of stars, and I thought this fit the theme a little,” Ahmed said.

Arts and humanities sophomore Aviana Irrer also wholeheartedly committed to the theme. Her outfit was composed of a sheer, mesh dress with gold celestial patterns over a strappy, silver bodysuit and two layered skirts. 

This incredibly unique look was serendipity — the slip that was supposed to be under the mesh dress was missing.

“I left it at home … so I said, ‘Well, OK, I’m gonna have to make something else out of it,’” Irrer said.

Political science freshman Nel Robinson and applied engineering science preference freshman Kwaku Baffour-Awuah took the opportunity to showcase their culture through their outfits at the ball. 

Baffour-Awuah said, “Represent!” as he donned a traditional Ghanian shirt in a deep wine color, paired with light gray pants. 

Robinson was representing Black History Month with her bold and colorful outfit. She wore an African kimono draped over a ruffled blouse with matching black pants and red Vans.

“It helps you open the doors to meeting other people,” Robinson said about her attire. “It can show who you are and where you come from.”

The ball was a night full of fashion, and if there’s anyone that knows what it means to dress for success, it’s the Honors College.

Share and discuss “The fashion at MSU’s Honors College Ball was out of this world” on social media.