Where to find Wi-Fi on campus during finals week

<p>English senior Johnny Mocny studies on his computer during a break at work on Sept. 2, 2020.</p>

English senior Johnny Mocny studies on his computer during a break at work on Sept. 2, 2020.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

After storms and downed power lines left many students without power on Saturday, MSU’s Office of Student Life and Engagement sent out an email Dec. 12 detailing where students can access Wi-Fi on campus while studying for final exams.

“While most of the off-campus power was restored by area utilities yesterday, we know some of you living off-campus in the East Lansing area may still be experiencing an internet outage because of yesterday’s incident,” Senior Vice President for Student Life and Engagement Vennie Gore, Senior Associate Provost Thomas Jeitschko and Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Mark Largent wrote in the email. 

On-campus buildings were not impacted by the power outages and have Wi-Fi available for students to use to study or take finals. 

“Our new STEM Teaching and Learning Facility, along with the Library, MSU Union, Wells Hall and our residence halls that have dining facilities, all have reliable internet access and quiet spaces for your final exam preparations,” Gore, Jeitschko and Largent wrote.

On-campus building hours are as follows: 

STEM Teaching and Learning Facility: 7 a.m. to midnight.

MSU Main Library: 7:30 a.m. to midnight.

MSU Union: 7 a.m. to midnight.

Wells Hall: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

MSU also set aside the following classroom spaces in the STEM Teaching and Learning Facility for off-campus students without internet access to take online final exams:

Room 1201, Monday 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. to midnight.

Room 2201, Monday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to midnight.

Room 2202, Monday 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. to midnight.

“Please be sure to utilize these spaces if you are experiencing connectivity challenges,” Gore, Jeitschko and Largent wrote.

Students can also reserve rooms with internet access in the Main and Business Libraries to study and take exams.

According to the email, Xfinity shared it estimates internet service to be restored by Dec. 13 at 6 p.m. for many off-campus neighborhoods. 

These on campus spaces will be available to students all week. 

The Office of Student Life and Engagement ended the email by reminding students to avoid downed power lines and debris on Hagadorn Road and campus while crews clean up the area to make it safe for motorists and pedestrians.

In an email sent to MSU educators and academic advisers, the Office of The Provost asked faculty and staff to extend grace and empathy to students during finals week.

"We recognize the challenges this unexpected event may present to our off-campus students," Jeitschko wrote. "Please be aware that students have been told to reach out to their faculty members if they have specific questions about their final exams or need any type of accommodation."

Share and discuss “Where to find Wi-Fi on campus during finals week” on social media.