Fall commencements held in-person for all graduates after nearly 2 years

<p>A baccalaureate graduate fixing their tassel at the 2020 graduate and spring and summer 2021 graduate commencement ceremony at the Breslin Center on Sept. 18, 2021.</p>

A baccalaureate graduate fixing their tassel at the 2020 graduate and spring and summer 2021 graduate commencement ceremony at the Breslin Center on Sept. 18, 2021.

After nearly two years of delayed and shortened events, Michigan State University held its first in-person, on-schedule commencements for fall 2021 Bachelor’s, Master’s and Educational Specialist and Doctoral graduates on Dec. 17 and 18.

With COVID-19 cases surging in Michigan and the first case of the Omicron variant being reported on Dec. 17, the ceremonies had a different look than those in pre-pandemic years. 

Like with the special commencements held in September, masks were heavily enforced at all times. Graduates sat in bleachers on the edges of the Breslin Center floor— instead of the usual seats placed in front of the stage.

Despite these changes, the stadium was filled with friends and family waiting to see their soon-alumnus receive their diploma.

Commencement speakers for each of the five ceremonies included a wide variety of alumni, including Abraham Clark Consulting principal Celeste Clark, University of Virginia law professor Douglas Laycock, Senator Gary Peters, Anuvia Plant Nutrients Chief Executive Officer Amy Yoder and Home Depot CEO Craig Menear.

Menear’s speech, which was given at the second Dec. 18 commencement, emphasized to the graduates that the most influential generations are formed through hard times.

“Here's the good news. We're all forged from our experiences.,” Menear said. “And the harder they are, the greater the opportunity to transform them into something meaningful.”

For the undergraduate ceremonies, a selected senior from each group of colleges spoke to their fellow graduates. These included food science major Maxwell Guitar, global and international studies major KayLynn Fowler and mechanical engineering major Dayana Villagran.

Villagran, a first-generation college graduate, reflected on her time working in agricultural fields with her parents, and reminded her peers to remember why they came to MSU.

“I ask you to recognize that you are now a true Spartan, and Spartans are unbreakable. Learn to appreciate what you have, and all the accomplishments you have achieved,” Villagran said. “Every single person earning their degree in this room has at least one thing in common— we all did whatever it took to be Spartans.”

This group of graduates in particular have experienced the full extent of the COVID-19 pandemic, switching between online and in-person classes regularly over their tenure at MSU. 

Many, like College of Natural Sciences alumnus Morgan Schichtel, said they were just glad to finally be there.

“I've been going to school for most of my life, and I'm not anymore. Which is weird,” Schichtel said. “I’m excited to be done for a minute, take a break. Yeah, it’s really strange.”

Share and discuss “Fall commencements held in-person for all graduates after nearly 2 years” on social media.