State News Gambling Guide: Week 7

<p>Each week, The State News’ degenerates who are 21 and older will be helping you try to earn some money with three picks of their own each Friday morning. Each week, we will update our records from the last week, so you can see who is really helping you cash in each week.</p>

Each week, The State News’ degenerates who are 21 and older will be helping you try to earn some money with three picks of their own each Friday morning. Each week, we will update our records from the last week, so you can see who is really helping you cash in each week.

Each week, The State News’ degenerates who are 21 and older will be helping you try to earn some money with three picks of their own. Each week, we will update our records from the last week, so you can see who is really helping you cash in.

Eli McKown, Sports Editor (6-8, 1-1 last week)

Well, I was wrong about Nebraska Head Coach Scott Frost getting the boot after he got a vote of confidence from the Cornhuskers' athletic department, but I am back and ready for more this week.

Being this far below .500 is unacceptable, I promise to be better.

Michigan (-1) vs Penn State

I think this game will be closer than some people may think, but Michigan just flat out has the better team to me here. Penn State cannot run the ball well this year and with Michigan’s pass rush, I can see Penn State senior quarterback Sean Clifford struggling in this one. Give me Michigan by two scores in Happy Valley.

Boston College (ML) vs Georgia Tech

I know I said I would not bet on Boston College again, but with redshirt junior quarterback Phil Jurkovec back for the Eagles, I think this team gets back on track. Georgia Tech is a big-time rebuild for Hornets Head Coach Geoff Collins and this year has shown that. With Boston College being the underdog somehow in this one, go take advantage.

Purdue (+21) vs Ohio State

I can’t say Purdue does it outright, but Ohio State this season, outside of some really bad teams, hasn’t been able to blow teams out. I think Purdue does just enough to stay within a possession or two, but I think they easily cover 21 points in this game.

Jared Ramsey, Football and Men’s Basketball Beat Reporter (8-6-1, 2-0-1 last week)

Last week was how successful I envisioned being week in and week out in this column. I gave out two slam dunks in Ole Miss and Duke, and had the first push of the year when San Diego State beat Hawaii by seven. I can’t believe it took six weeks for our first push but I’m glad I could help us have that moment. 

I now stand slightly ahead of the pack after the great week. Shoutout to Nebraska for barely losing again and keeping Eli below .500. Now that college basketball is going full throttle again, I’ll be sharing some hoops picks to go with football from here on out.

Wake Forest (-1) vs. North Carolina State (football)

Sure, Wake Forest had its Cinderella season derailed in a shootout last week against North Carolina, but the demon deacons still have a lot to play for this year. Their slim playoff margins were all but destroyed in the defeat, but Wake Forest still controls its destiny in the ACC Atlantic and could end up in a New Year’s Six game.

NC State has quietly had a solid season and sits a game behind the Demon Deacons for first place in the Atlantic. A win for the Wolfpack and they will most likely be in the ACC championship game. But, I don’t think Sam Hartman and the rest of Wake Forest will let that happen and will win comfortably to bounce back from its first loss.

Miami (-3) at Florida State (football)

We are sticking in the ACC because this line confuses me. I’m shocked that Miami is only favored by a field goal so I feel like I have to take it.  

People always talk about this storied rivalry but Miami and Florida State have not been good at the same time for almost two decades now. This year, both teams have been on a constant roller coaster up and down with disappointing losses and surprising wins. 

Right now, the Hurricanes are riding hot after finding its new quarterback of the future in freshman Tyler Van Dyke. The Canes have won three straight games, including two over-ranked teams (Pitt and NC State). I don’t expect the hot streak to be stopped by a really bad Florida State team. 

Northern Colorado (-2.5) at Hawaii (basketball)

I am picking this game because I want to continue my streak of betting against Hawaii. 

I like the Rainbow Warriors’ chances on the gridiron against UTEP this weekend so we are betting against them in basketball. I do not have a single lick of information about either team so take this advice if you want. I just hope the streak continues. The game tips off at midnight EST on Friday so keep your night open. 

Sean Reider, Men’s Basketball Beat Reporter (7-7, 1-1 last week)

I’d like to apologize to the readers: .500 isn’t good enough. 7-7 is just a disgusting record to have at this point in the season and I can hardly express how disappointed I am. 

So, after hours in the lab this week, I whipped up three picks to get back on the right track and start closing out the year strong. I’ve felt good every week but this week is different—let’s get this action, folks. 

Wofford (+9) at Clemson (basketball)

Clemson was a top-five team in the ACC last season, riding an ultra-productive Aamir Simms to an NCAA tournament bid last year. But that was then and this is now—Simms is gone and while the backcourt has some talent, it’s hard to see the Tigers making much noise in the race for a conference title or at-large bid. 

On the other hand, Wofford finished second in the Southern Conference last season and there’s no reason to see them being uncompetitive in one of the tougher mid-major leagues in college basketball. Morgan Safford and Max Klesmit return for a team that can absolutely light it up from deep (shot 64% from the arc in their season opener against Bob Jones University) and I expect them to find more success living and dying by the three. 

Wofford’s motion attack and strong shooting give them a puncher’s chance against just about anybody and it should keep them in the game against a decidedly mediocre Clemson squad. Go Terriers! 

Nevada (+3) at San Diego State (football)

In researching this Mountain West tilt, I discovered two interesting tidbits: 

1. Nevada is a perfect 3-0 as away underdogs (2-1 win/loss record in said games). 

2. The Mountain West’s two divisions are called “Mountain” and “West” which is either a hilarious degree of laziness or brilliance and I can’t decide between the two. 

Regardless, this is a pivotal matchup for the Mountain West “West” division as both teams sport a 4-1 conference record. I’ve certainly watched more Nevada than SDSU this year but there’s a lot to like with junior quarterback Carson Strong leading a top-three offense in the conference against a potent San Diego State defense. Gimme the Wolfpack with an overpowering passing attack to keep this one within three. 

Syracuse (+3.5) at Louisville (football)

I’ve tried (for the most part) to give out picks this season based on legitimate data, trends and what I’ve seen from teams. That is also not at all how this little thing of ours works-sometimes you just see a ridiculous line and have to act on either side of it.  

Look, I’ve watched one Syracuse game and one Louisville game this year and even I know this is a rat line. Take the ‘Cuse and the points.

Share and discuss “State News Gambling Guide: Week 7” on social media.