MSU Athletics receives $10 million towards expansion of football facilities

<p>MSU football Head Coach Mel Tucker speaks during a timeout in a basketball game between MSU and Maryland at the Breslin Student Events Center on Feb. 15, 2020. </p>

MSU football Head Coach Mel Tucker speaks during a timeout in a basketball game between MSU and Maryland at the Breslin Student Events Center on Feb. 15, 2020.

Per a release, Michigan State Athletics has received a $10 million commitment from Greg and Dawn Williams, to help fund the Tom Izzo Football Building, which is an expansion and renovation to the current football facilities.

“Michigan State Athletics is grateful for Greg and Dawn, their friendship and philanthropic leadership,” Athletic Director Alan Haller said in the release. “Their gift moves us forward in a lot of ways and furthers our mission to provide a transformative experience for all Spartan student-athletes. What I appreciate the most is the Williams’ pride in and commitment to our local community and recognizing how partnering with Michigan State can have a broad, positive impact.”

The expansion and renovation will include a grand entrance, improvements to the football auditorium and the creation of new player lockers, informal meeting spaces and recovery modalities, as well as a dining and nutrition area.

In addition, the project is said to feature areas that will benefit student-athletes across multiple sports, including an expanded weight room with state-of-the-art strength and conditioning technology and mental health wellness spaces.

“Lupe and I are grateful for Greg and Dawn’s friendship and the values we share, specifically a belief that there is something special about our community,” men's basketball Head Coach Tom Izzo said in the release. “As I got to know Greg and studied how he built such a successful company, I realized that culture is one of the most important ingredients for any team. That’s how we built ours. The incredible generosity that Dawn (and) Greg have shown will not only impact our football program, but all of our student-athletes and the Michigan State community.”

“Thank you Greg and Dawn for your leadership and commitment to excellence,” Michigan State football Head Coach Mel Tucker said in the release. “This facility is about competing for championships. If we can recruit high-level talent, and provide our student-athletes the ability to prepare, rest and recover, and have an enhanced social experience, we will be positioned for success here at Michigan State.”

While the couple did not graduate from MSU, they said their donation is a reflection of community pride – they see MSU as the face of the community and its surrounding areas. The Williamses are excited about the Spartan Athletics leadership that is in place right now and credit them for the relationship element to the gift – they said the gift is also an attempt to be a part of the solution.

“It wouldn't have happened if not for the winning combination of people, energy, and the enthusiasm at MSU today,” Dawn Williams said in the release.

Share and discuss “MSU Athletics receives $10 million towards expansion of football facilities” on social media.