Justice Department reconsiders decision not to prosecute FBI in Nassar investigation

<p>Prayer flags hang during the Finding Our Voice: Sister Survivors Speak Exhibition Opening Ceremony at the MSU Museum on April 16, 2019.</p>

Prayer flags hang during the Finding Our Voice: Sister Survivors Speak Exhibition Opening Ceremony at the MSU Museum on April 16, 2019.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

After four sister survivors testified against the FBI during a senate judiciary committee hearing on Sept. 15, the Department of Justice is reconsidering its decision not to prosecute agents, according to IndyStar.

Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee this morning about renewing and strengthening the Violence Against Women Act.

"As the deputy attorney general, as a lawyer, as a former FBI official and as a woman, I was outraged by the inspector general's findings," Monaco said to the committee.

Monaco said she has discussed the changes with the FBI Director and directed additional measures within the Department of Justice to ensure prosecutors understand their duty to coordinate with local law enforcement when an ongoing threat is present.

The assistant attorney general for the criminal division is reviewing the handling of the FBI's Nassar investigation and has found new information which may cause them to reconsider the prosecution of agents involved.

"I do want the committee, and, frankly, I want the survivors, to understand how exceptionally seriously we take this issue and believe that this deserves a thorough and full review," Monaco said.

Share and discuss “Justice Department reconsiders decision not to prosecute FBI in Nassar investigation ” on social media.