'Zeke and Greet' gives students chance to meet The Wonder Dog

<p>Business-preference freshman Jenna Hemmes (left) and packaging senior Anna Breitbarth (right) got to meet Zeke and create their own wonder dog at the UAB&#x27;s Zeke and Greet event. &quot;I&#x27;m officially in love and we met Zeke, so it&#x27;s been a good day,&quot; Hemmes said. Sept. 29, 2021.</p>

Business-preference freshman Jenna Hemmes (left) and packaging senior Anna Breitbarth (right) got to meet Zeke and create their own wonder dog at the UAB's Zeke and Greet event. "I'm officially in love and we met Zeke, so it's been a good day," Hemmes said. Sept. 29, 2021.

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

The Michigan State University Activities Board, or UAB, held a meet and greet party for Zeke the Wonder Dog on Wednesday night in the Union Ballroom as part of the university's in-person Homecoming Week events.

cat-zekegreet-3

The event gave students the opportunity to meet and make their own stuffed Zeke, the frisbee-catching yellow lab that performs at MSU sporting events. 

The original Zeke made his first appearance in 1977 at a football game and, since then, there have been four Zekes to appear at games, with the fourth installment making his first outing in 2016 at a men’s basketball game. 

The event itself had more to offer than just the chance to meet Zeke.

After waiting in a rather long line, students had the opportunity to gather materials at different stations and eventually put together their very own Zeke to take home. The Zeke options came in various colors.

zeke-greet-01

“I am here because I wanted to get a stuffed dog,” microbiology and molecular genetics doctoral student Haleigh Gilliland said. 

While some have already had the chance to see Zeke in person, the event gave some their first chance to get up close and personal with him. Students were able to pose for Polaroid pictures with Zeke in front of a backdrop.

“I really like how unique of an event this is," environment studies and sustainability sophomore Ava Kelber said. "I never thought I would get the opportunity to meet Zeke or get to make my own stuffed animal of him and it is like a cool way to get like a piece of MSU history."

Students working the event also expressed their excitement for the event and its return.

“I worked this event two years ago when we did it my freshman year and it was really fun, so I decided to do it again,” French junior Catherine Foster said. 

zeke-greet-11

Zeke and Greet is just one of the many Homecoming week events happening at the university. After not having an in-person Homecoming last year, students have been taking advantage of all the festivities going on throughout the rest of the week.

Share and discuss “'Zeke and Greet' gives students chance to meet The Wonder Dog” on social media.