Heavy rainfall causes severe flooding and power outages in East Lansing

<p>Rain drops on a window after a storm.</p>

Rain drops on a window after a storm.

Last night, East Lansing residents and many other cities around the area experienced power outages and flooding due to heavy rainfall.

The City of East Lansing Department of Power Works, or DPW, released a news update this morning regarding what residents should do as a result of last night's flooding and power outages.

According to the news release, East Lansing Police Department and East Lansing Fire Department are performing safety checks by knocking on residents' doors in areas with high flooding. DPW staff is also closing off flooded roads, inspecting sewers and arranging storm response services as needed. 

East Lansing residents are advised to do the following:

• Don’t go into a flooded basement to shut off an electrical panel. Call your electric provider. The Lansing Board of Water & Light can be contacted at 877-295-5001.

• If you need assistance with pumping water out of your basement, call a water restoration contractor. 

• Water in basements can also be reported to the DPW at 517-337-9459, Option 0. 

• Stay away from downed power lines and report them to your utility company immediately.

• Generators should be operated outdoors where there is plenty of open space for exhaust ventilation.

• Don’t drive through standing water over roadways.

The City of East Lansing announced this morning that the East Lansing City Hall had lost power, but the electricity is now restored and is expected to re-open at noon for the public.

Share and discuss “Heavy rainfall causes severe flooding and power outages in East Lansing” on social media.