A guide to Welcome Week events

<p>Students walk past 1855 Place during the Spartan Spirit Event and MSU Sparticipation on Aug. 27, 2019. </p>

Students walk past 1855 Place during the Spartan Spirit Event and MSU Sparticipation on Aug. 27, 2019.

Photo by Connor Desilets | The State News

Michigan State University has prepared several in-person activities to welcome Spartans physically back to campus this fall.

Here’s a schedule of what’s happening:

Friday, Aug. 27

6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Spartan Game Night at IM West. This will include rounds of “Spartan Right Price” and “Spartan Family Feud”.

Saturday, Aug. 28

2 p.m. to 4 p.m. MSU will be celebrating graduate students and professional students at the MSU Benefactors Plaza behind Chittenden Hall. This is the COGS Fall Celebration and it will be outdoors with games and music. Participants must complete the MSU Health Screening form prior to entering. 

7 p.m. to 9 p.m. MSU Union Lounge will have rounds of Spartan Bingo and chances to win prizes.

Sunday, Aug. 29

7 p.m. to 8 p.m. The Planetarium will display constellations, planets and other phenomena for the “Startacular Show” at the Abrams Planetarium.

7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The Eli and Edythe Broad Museum will display the museum’s collections.

9 p.m. A movie night with the University Activities Board & the Residence Halls Association will take place at the Breslin Student Events Center.

9 p.m. to 11 p.m. The last event Sunday night will be ice skating at Munn Ice Arena. 

Monday, Aug. 30

To start the new week, participants can show off their favorite Spartan gear for Spirit Affiliate Day, and tag @involveatstate on Instagram in their photos.

9 a.m. to 11a.m. All the new first year and transfer students are required to attend Fall Convocation at the Breslin Center. This is a formal ceremony and no bags will be allowed in the building. 

4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The LGBTQ+ community has a welcome event to gain resources and connections from the Gender and Sexuality Campus Center. This will take place in the garden area behind the Student Affairs & Services Building.

5 p.m. to 9 p.m. 41st Annual UFest at the MSU Union and will have activities, food, giveaways, and more.

8 p.m. to 12 a.m. The last in-person event on Monday will be the Moonlight ExtravaGRANDza in downtown East Lansing. This will give new residents a chance to see East Lansing’s small businesses. It will feature a game of “Knockerball” and Ann Street Plaza Stage will host a concert. 

Tuesday, Aug. 31

1 p.m. to 5 p.m. MSU Athletics will be hosting a spirit event at 1855 Place. There will be a chance to win a free Izzone membership for a half-court shop, football toss for football season tickets, hockey shot for Munsters season tickets, other giveaways, and opportunities to interact with student athletes. 

4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Fall Welcome Spartan Spectacular at Cherry Lane Field will include Sparticipation, which introduce students to over 500 student organizations. Residential dining halls will be closed from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. to encourage participation in these events.

7:30 p.m. The Spartan Spirit Pep Rally will take place at Spartan Stadium with the marching band, athletic coaches, MSU homecoming court and more.

8:30 p.m. There will be a movie night in Spartan Stadium. There are no bags allowed in the stadium.

Thursday, Sept. 2

7 p.m. MSU’s Fraternity & Sorority Life will host the Greek Fall Welcome at The Rock by the Auditorium. Sixty-three sororities and fraternities will be present with free food, games and entertainment. 

Friday, Sept. 3

6 p.m. The Fem Fest celebration will happen in the MSU Union Concourse & Ballroom. This fest celebrates feminism in visual arts, poetry/spoken word and music.

Thursday, Sept. 9

6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Spartan Remix is the last in-person event for Welcome Week and will take place at the People’s Park. This is a celebration of culture, music and art that allows the MSU community to come together in education of diverse communities.

Many events will take place virtually during Welcome Week like yoga, trivia games and scavenger hunts to name some. Check fallwelcome.msu.edu for more information. 

Share and discuss “A guide to Welcome Week events ” on social media.