MSU announces its Name, Image and Likeness program, EverGreen

<p>Then-sophomore guard Foster Loyer (left) defends Albion guard Cortez Garland (right). The Spartans defeated the Britons, 85-50, at the Breslin Student Events Center on Oct. 29, 2019. </p>

Then-sophomore guard Foster Loyer (left) defends Albion guard Cortez Garland (right). The Spartans defeated the Britons, 85-50, at the Breslin Student Events Center on Oct. 29, 2019.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Michigan State Athletics announced a new program to help student-athletes market their name, image and likeness, or NIL, called EverGreen

The program is designed to inform student-athletes about building a personal brand, making informed decisions and positioning themselves to maximize their earning power. 

"Our goal is to provide our student-athletes the tools for success — on the field of competition, inside the classroom and beyond MSU," Michigan State Vice President and Director of Athletics Bill Beekman said in the press release. "Name, image and likeness legislation will offer new opportunities for our student-athletes and EverGreen will prepare and position them for these changes.”

According to the press release, MSU Athletics partnered with three companies, INFLCR, Anomaly Sports Group and TeamAltemus, that specialize in student-branding, student-athlete development and financial education for EverGreen. 

"It's been fun for our team to watch Michigan State's student-athletes display record usage on the INFLCR platform over the past couple of years in working together," INFLCR CEO Jim Cavale said in the press release. "As we build on that foundation with new NIL features that will set the Spartans up for maximum success in the NIL era, it's going to be a lot of fun doing it with one of the staple brands in all of college athletics.” 

This is the first action by Michigan State to help its athletes profit while competing in college. The road opened up after the state of Michigan passed legislation in Dec. 2020 allowing athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness and the Supreme Court ruling this week that struck down parts of NCAA’s amateurism restrictions for student-athletes. 

Share and discuss “MSU announces its Name, Image and Likeness program, EverGreen ” on social media.