Michigan State and Suzy Merchant add Purdue grad transfer Tamara Farquhar

<p>Women&#x27;s basketball Head Coach Suzy Merchant gives a short statement seconds after the team&#x27;s win against Penn State. The Spartans defeated the Lady Lions, 75-66, on the second day of the Big Ten Tournament hosted at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Shot on March 10, 2021.</p>

Women's basketball Head Coach Suzy Merchant gives a short statement seconds after the team's win against Penn State. The Spartans defeated the Lady Lions, 75-66, on the second day of the Big Ten Tournament hosted at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Shot on March 10, 2021.

Photo by Lauren DeMay | The State News

Michigan State women’s basketball has added Purdue graduate transfer Tamara Farquhar to the roster. Last season with the Boilermakers, the 6-foot guard-forward averaged 6.5 points and 6.1 rebounds per game while starting all 23 games for Purdue.

"We love the experience, athleticism, and skill set that Tamara brings to our program,” Michigan State Head Coach Suzy Merchant said in a release. “Her ability to play multiple positions both on offense and defense is something that we were very excited to add to our roster. She is a tremendous rebounder and loves to play in open space especially in transition. We are thrilled to welcome Tamara and her family to the Spartan Nation.”

This move comes after the departure of Janai Crooms and Kendall Bostic in the transfer portal earlier this offseason. Bostic has since joined Big Ten rival Illinois while Crooms has yet to announce where she will be playing basketball next season.

Farquhar fills a need for the Spartans as someone who can play multiple wing positions and even up to the four if needed with the departure of Bostic and Mardrekia Cook graduating. The Spartans were thin on the wing with only Moira Joiner and Tory Ozment filling those roles as of now.

Farquhar will come to East Lansing with an extensive group of freshmen including guard Damiya Hagemann, forwards Isaline Alexander, Brooklyn Rewers and wing Lauren Walker. The Spartans are also awaiting the arrival of Matilda Ekh, a sharpshooting guard from Sweden who has yet to arrive due to the COVID-19 pandemic since committing last spring.

After losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, the Spartans are beginning to look like a real contender in the Big Ten Conference.

Share and discuss “Michigan State and Suzy Merchant add Purdue grad transfer Tamara Farquhar” on social media.