MSU men's basketball guard Jack Hoiberg enters NCAA transfer portal

Freshman guard Jack Hoiberg (10) shoots over Ohio State guard Keyshawn Woods (32) during the men's basketball game against Ohio State at Breslin Center on Feb. 17, 2019. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 62-44. Nic Antaya/The State News
Freshman guard Jack Hoiberg (10) shoots over Ohio State guard Keyshawn Woods (32) during the men's basketball game against Ohio State at Breslin Center on Feb. 17, 2019. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 62-44. Nic Antaya/The State News —
Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

This article was updated March 31 at 2 p.m.

After four years, Michigan State men's basketball redshirt junior guard Jack Hoiberg has entered the NCAA transfer portal, a spokesperson for the MSU men's basketball program confirmed.

Hoiberg originally walked onto the team in 2018 after redshirting his first year.

This season he appeared in 14 of the 28 played games. He was a part of some crucial late-season minutes, averaging 0.5 points and 0.2 rebounds per game, and a key member of the scout team.

Hoiberg announced Wednesday on Twitter that he would be transferring to the University of Texas at Arlington to continue his collegiate basketball career.

This is the first roster shake-up following the 2020-21 season. The Spartans have since also seen sophomore guard Rocket Watts submit his name into the portal, only days after gaining Northeastern guard transfer Tyson Walker.

Some fellow and former Spartans have Tweeted in response to the news:

Share and discuss “MSU men's basketball guard Jack Hoiberg enters NCAA transfer portal” on social media.