My predictions for 78th Golden Globe Awards ceremony

At last, what I have been waiting for has finally arrived — award show season. 

I love award shows. Since the nominations for the Golden Globe Awards were released in February, I made it a point to watch every nominated film so I could make my best-educated guess as to who would win what.

Now, I have watched the vast majority of the nominated films (I can count on one hand the amount that I haven’t seen), so I feel pretty comfortable issuing opinions about the nominees and who I think should win. 

So, that’s what I’m going to do: Here are my thoughts on the 2021 Golden Globe nominations. 

Also, I’m only going to be touching on the motion picture categories because, honestly, I expect “Schitt’s Creek” to sweep the television categories. 

Best Picture — Drama

While “Promising Young Woman” sits at the No. 1 spot of my 2020 movie rankings, I’m expecting “Nomadland” to take home the award for best drama. 

“Nomadland” feels genuine — it feels like you’re watching a documentary following the trials and tribulations of a nomadic traveler across America. This is, in part, to the fantastic leading performance of Frances McDormand and the directing skills of Chloé Zhao, who has already been tapped to direct Marvel’s upcoming “Eternals” movie. From start to finish, this is a beautiful film in terms of cinematography, mise-en-scene and script, as I expect it to take home the award for the best screenplay. 

“Promising Young Woman,” too, is genuine, and it’s especially timely. It’s Emerald Fennell’s directorial debut, and it has a cast loaded with familiar faces like Laverne Cox and Bo Burnham, but Carey Mulligan is a scene-stealer through the whole thing. While at times it can be disturbing or brutal, I recommend watching this to the highest degree, especially since it comes in the wake of the #MeToo movement. 

Best Picture — Comedy or Musical

I don’t feel strongly about any comedies or musicals nominated this year beside “The Prom,” which was directed by Ryan Murphy. I’m not super into musicals, but I found this one to be pretty fun all around — specifically, Nicole Kidman’s number. I found the message to be empowering, too.

None of the other films nominated here really stand out to me. I have no clue how the horrid Sia movie “Music” got a nomination, especially with its controversial portrayal of an autistic character by a neurotypical actress. I honestly did not find “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” to be too funny, either, so I’m really pulling for “The Prom” here. 

Best Actress — Drama

All of the nominees for best actress in a drama film are extraordinary. Seriously, they are.

Mulligan knocked it out of the park in “Promising Young Woman,” and McDormand’s portrayal of a nomad in “Nomadland” was dazzling and incredibly genuine. And, powerhouse Viola Davis brought blues legend Ma Rainey back to life on screen in “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.” 

However, my favorite performance of the year goes to Vanessa Kirby, whose portrayal of a woman dealing with the aftermath of a traumatic home birth in “Pieces of a Woman” brought tears to my eyes, and it brought Kirby a best actress nod. Her performance is raw, touching and emotional, and she proves her chops early in a nearly 20-minute scene with no cuts. Throughout the rest of the film, she does a great job of giving a truly devastating look into the world of a mourning mother. 

Best Actor — Drama

The frontrunner here for me is Chadwick Boseman, especially because his role in “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom” is his final film role before his death in 2020.

Just knowing that Boseman was fighting colon cancer while filming the movie only enhances his already outstanding performance, and he graces each scene of this film with a sense of dignity and dedication. So, I’m hoping the award goes to Boseman as a testament to his strength and perseverance. 

Best Actress — Comedy or Musical

I’m a huge fan of Anya Taylor-Joy, so I’m really hoping she takes the award for playing the titular character of Emma in Autumn de Wilde’s adaptation of the Jane Austen novel. She’s absolutely fantastic in “Emma,” and while she has stiff competition from the likes of Michelle Pfieffer and Rosamund Pike, I have full faith Taylor-Joy will come out on top. 

I expect Taylor-Joy to end the night with at least one award, seeing as she is also nominated in the best actress in a limited series category for her portrayal of Beth Harmon in “The Queen’s Gambit.”

Best Actor — Comedy or Musical

Sacha Baron Cohen is a shoo-in for this one. He’s nominated for reprising his role as Borat, a disgraced reporter from Kazakhstan, in “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm,” and I can see no way for Baron Cohen to lose this.

I don’t think he has necessarily that much competition (James Corden, really?), but seeing as he’s won the Golden Globe for playing Borat in the first film, I’m counting on another victory this year. 

Best Supporting Actor/Actress

I would be honestly upset if Glenn Close lost the award for best supporting actress in any role because she was incredible in “Hillbilly Elegy.” I think she played the Southern grandmother quite well, and she looked the part, too.

The only way I wouldn’t be upset is if Amanda Seyfried takes the gold for her role in “Mank,” which livened up what would have otherwise been a rather bland watch.

As for best supporting actor, Daniel Kaluuya’s portrayal of Black Panther Party Chairman Fred Hampton in “Judas and the Black Messiah” is, of course, at the top of my list, especially after learning some of what the actor did to prepare for the role (he was practically vetted by the son of Hampton himself!). 

The Golden Globes premiere at 8 p.m. Sunday on NBC. 

Share and discuss “My predictions for 78th Golden Globe Awards ceremony” on social media.