MSU track and field begins 2021 indoor season with meet in Ann Arbor

Michigan State track athlete Jenna Magness competes at the University of Michigan's indoor track during one of her events.
Michigan State track athlete Jenna Magness competes at the University of Michigan's indoor track during one of her events. —
Photo by Courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications | The State News

The MSU track and field team started their 2021 indoor season with a strong showing at the Simmons-Harvey Invitational in Ann Arbor, Michigan, this past weekend.

Between both the men’s and women’s teams, the Spartans walked away with four event wins and 11 personal bests by members of the team.

The women’s side accounted for the four wins, highlighted by junior Rebecca Mammel who won the weight throw with a personal best throw of 22.19 meters.

“Certainly a huge standout for us today was Becca (Mammel) to start the meet," Interim Director of Track and Field Lisa Senakiewich-Breznau said in a release after the meet. "She helped create that energy that we talked about. She helped the ladies really supporting one another."

The women also had winning performances from sophomore Olivia Lopez won the long jump while also setting a personal best jump of 5.73 meters, junior Sophia Franklin who tied for first in the pole vault event with a vault of 4.06 meters and junior Jenna Magness who came out victorious in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 9:20.65, beating her personal best she set at this same tournament last year.

On the men’s side, sophomore Antonio Postell finished sixth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.93 seconds and junior Trevor Stephenson placed second in the pole vault with a height of 4.82 meters.

The men also had six athletes who competed in the 3,000, where sophomore Abdi Ahmed, junior Steven Stine, and senior Zacary Wright-Fisher all finished with personal best times.

The Simmons-Harvey Invitational was also the first meet under Senakiewich-Breznau. 

She stepped into the role after Walt Drenth, the director of both the track and cross country programs, retired after 16 years at MSU.

“Today was really a lot about back getting to actual competition," Senakiewich-Breznau said. "We had to get back to a competitive mindset both emotionally and mentally. The Big Ten is such a competitive conference across all events. This was such a great opportunity to get into that frame of mind. We are just getting back to getting a certain outlet and approach on meet day. We know that the physical side will come. After getting back from winter break, we are just getting back to practice. We know the physical will come with more work, but it was nice to see them do the things that we asked them to do.”

The event was also held without spectators, which is something Senakiewich-Breznau said was different than usual.

“It was definitely different today, having created our own energy without any fans, especially with the men competing first, then women following up,” Senakiewich-Breznau said. "The women did a great job, supporting one another even during downtimes. They genuinely engaged with one another. Meet days are the only time everyone is together at the same time. So we had to learn to focus in and create atmosphere.”

Michigan State is looking to improve on a strong start to the season Jan. 23 at the Indiana Quad meet against Big Ten opponents Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue.

Share and discuss “MSU track and field begins 2021 indoor season with meet in Ann Arbor” on social media.