MSU women's basketball game against Illinois postponed due to COVID-19

The Michigan State’s women’s basketball game against Illinois this Thursday has been postponed for a later date due to COVID-19 issues within the Spartans’ own program.

This announcement followed the Michigan State men’s basketball decision to postpone their game against Iowa after three positive COVID-19 tests within their program, including two players in Mady Sissoko and Steven Izzo, the son of Michigan State head men’s basketball coach Tom Izzo, who had COVID-19 earlier this year.

According to the release, both the Illini and Spartans will look to reschedule this game at some point in the future and no games past Jan. 14 have been decided on yet, including the Spartans' upcoming matchup against their rival Michigan on Monday.

It is unknown whether any individuals within the women’s hoops program have tested positive for COVID-19. Any coach or player who tests positive under the Big Ten guidelines must remain quarantined and away from team activities for 17 days.

This is not the first time the Spartans have been forced to miss games. During the holiday break for students, Ohio State paused team activities and postponed their New Year’s Eve matchup against Michigan State.

Michigan State will now have to wait until Monday at the earliest to break their two-game losing streak.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball game against Illinois postponed due to COVID-19” on social media.