Michigan State finally gets much needed insurance goal vs. Ohio State

The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 2-0, Behind a shutout performance from junior goalie Drew DeRidder.

The Michigan State hockey team (6-8-2) has struggled to score this year.

Now through 16 games, the Spartans are averaging 1.88 goals per game, a number that is 4th worst in the country.

The distribution of the 30 goals scored in the Spartans' favor has actually been quite even: nine in the first period, nine in the second period, 10 in the third period, and two in overtime.

But one of the major issues for the Spartans has been holding onto leads. Because they only score 1.88 goals per game, when they do get a lead it is usually only by one goal. Being able to score insurance goals, a two-plus goal lead can make the difference in separating good teams from great teams.

It happened in the very first game of the season against Arizona State. Michigan State held a 1-0 lead going into the third period, but then an ASU goal with less than five minutes remaining led to the game ending in a tie.

Then at Notre Dame, MSU took a one-goal lead in the first period, but the game ended in a tie following a second-period goal by the Fighting Irish.

Last weekend, the Spartans held a 2-1 lead late in the third period at Penn State. That lead was blown by a game-tying goal with 1:10 left followed by a PSU overtime winner 30 seconds into the extra period.

However, the Spartans were finally able to get the ever-so-important insurance goal Sunday in a 2-0 victory over Ohio State.

After taking a one-goal lead in the first period on a Tommy Apap goal and a scoreless second period, MSU looked to score one more goal in the final frame to make things a little bit more comfortable.

That’s exactly what they did.

About 8:30 into the third, freshman defenseman Aiden Gallacher ripped a soft shot from the point on the net. Ohio State goaltender Tommy Nappier made the save with his right pad, but the rebound went right to a waiting senior Brody Stevens who buried it in the back of the net.

“Great play off the rush and what a huge goal at the end," Head Coach Danton Cole said after Sunday's game. "That’s a different game, the last five minutes with the goalie pulled if he does not pop that one in. It’s good to see those guys rewarded. He did a nice job putting some pucks on the net early last night (Saturday) and really drove a couple of shifts. We couldn’t build on that at all, but that goal was huge. I love it when guys like that get big goals for us.”

“It relieves a lot of pressure," Michigan State starting goaltender Drew DeRidder said. "It definitely helps. I have played enough at this level, I love playing under pressure, but it definitely helps to just have that assurance."

Despite the now two-goal deficit, the Buckeyes continued to press hard in hopes of tying the game up. They put up 13 shots on goal in the third, their most of the day. They even had two power-play chances, one before Stevens’ goal and one with 1:02 remaining for a 6-on-4 power play with a pulled goalie.

But up by two, the Spartans were able to play with more comfort and pose than they perhaps would have not had with just a one-goal lead.

“I think a lot of it just will come with time," Stevens said. "We have a lot of young guys in the lineup every night, something that comes with playing college hockey games where they get a little bit more confident and they can make better plays as they go on. I think tonight kind of showed we are taking strides in the right direction."

Winning faceoffs was a key part in helping keep the lead. As time wound down, there were multiple faceoffs in the Michigan State zone that at the time would play a big part in how the game would end.

When it came down to it, the MSU centers stepped up and won critical draws. Mitchell Mattson, Josh Nodler and Apap all won over 68.4% of their faceoffs of Michigan State players that had at least seven draws.

From a goaltender’s perspective, that’s super helpful. Especially when you are also in a battle to earn your second shutout of the season.

"Those are huge," DeRidder said. "If you can get the puck back with the (defense) or somebody and just get it out of the zone, that kills 20 seconds at least off the clock and it definitely helps us out."

Still one point behind Ohio State at the bottom of the Big Ten after the split series, the Spartans will have an opportunity to earn their first sweep of the year and climb the standings with a weekend series at Wisconsin (9-7-0) next Friday and Saturday.

Share and discuss “Michigan State finally gets much needed insurance goal vs. Ohio State” on social media.