Gabe Brown tests positive for COVID-19

<p>Junior forward Gabe Brown (44) shoots the ball during the game against the Detroit Titans on Dec. 4, 2020 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Titans, 83-76.</p>

Junior forward Gabe Brown (44) shoots the ball during the game against the Detroit Titans on Dec. 4, 2020 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Titans, 83-76.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Michigan State men's basketball had another positive test late last week.

This time, junior forward Gabe Brown tested positive for COVID-19, Head Coach Tom Izzo said in a press conference Tuesday afternoon.

Izzo said that Brown is expected to be cleared and return back to play in early February. 

An assistant coach also tested positive on Monday, according to Izzo.

Brown is the fifth known player to test positive after Davis Smith, Steven Izzo, Mady Sissoko and Joshua Langford all tested positive recently. 

Regardless, the team held their first regular practice since their first positive tests in early January on Monday, an MSU Athletics spokesman confirmed to The State News.

Izzo said that the Spartans have been in contact with Rutgers and the game scheduled for Thursday is expected to continue as planned. 

MSU hasn't played in nearly three weeks. If the Rutgers matchup continues as planned that means 20 days will have spanned between the last time MSU took the court on game day and that matchup.

Izzo tested positive for COVID-19 in early November and previously said that he has signed up for the COVID-19 vaccine but has not received it yet.

Share and discuss “Gabe Brown tests positive for COVID-19” on social media.