Three Michigan State defensive players earn All Big Ten Honors

<p>Michigan State University&#x27;s Antjuan Simmons making a tackle midair against Northwestern on Saturday, November 28, 2020.</p>

Michigan State University's Antjuan Simmons making a tackle midair against Northwestern on Saturday, November 28, 2020.

Michigan State linebacker Antjuan Simmons, cornerback Shakur Brown and defensive end Drew Beesley all earned All-Big Ten honors from both the coaches and media selections.

No MSU offensive players earned All-Big Ten honors.

Brown, who recently declared for the NFL draft, earned All-Big Ten first team from the coaches as well as All-Big Ten second team from the media. This season, Brown has broken out as a star on the Michigan State defense after his previous season being plagued by injury.

โ€œI love the kid, he's improved and he's made a lot of plays this year,โ€ Michigan State head coach Mel Tucker said. โ€œI think he's got tremendous upside. I really enjoyed working with him and I wish him all the best. I'll support all the players, year in and year out and working with college guys when they're trying to make these decisions. I support them as much as I can and try to help them and help their families and be a resource for them.โ€

Brown leads the FBS in interceptions with five total this season.

Simmons earned All-Big Ten third team from the coaches while earning All-Big Ten second team from the media. This season, Simmons was the leader of the Spartan defense as he racked up 28 tackles on the year.

Beesley earned an honorable mention from both the coaches and the media after racking up a team high three sacks and five and a half tackles for loss.

With a matchup against Maryland approaching, all three players will have an opportunity to add to their successful season if they do decide to play. At this time, Tucker said the status for Brown is still not decided after he declared for the draft.

Tucker also mentioned that he has had discussions with players who may sit out Saturdayโ€™s game, but no decisions have been made.

Both Brown and Simmons will likely have opportunities to play in the NFL if they wish, but each also will have the opportunity to return with the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility to athletes.

โ€œI leave the door open for guys because there's a period of time there where they can change their mind based on the information they get,โ€ Tucker said. โ€œI want to help them as much as I can to make a good decision and then once they make a decision, then help them with the process, even if it's helping guys prepare for the interviews and things like that or talking to teams for them or tell them what to expect.โ€

Michigan State will look to finish the season strong against Maryland on Saturday at 7:30 on the Big Ten Network.

Editors note: This article was updated to reflect Drew Beesley's addition to the All-Big Ten honors list.

Share and discuss “Three Michigan State defensive players earn All Big Ten Honors” on social media.