MSU women's hoops gets four signees on National Signing Day

<p>Head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant watches during the women’s basketball game against Purdue on Feb. 3, 2019, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 74-66.</p>

Head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant watches during the women’s basketball game against Purdue on Feb. 3, 2019, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Boilermakers, 74-66.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Wednesday afternoon, MSU women's hoops head coach Suzy Merchant kept on building.

Four national letters of intent were signed, headlined by Detroit native, 5-foot-8 guard Damiya Hagemann.

“We are excited about our 2021 recruiting class. All four signees play for championship AAU and High School programs. This class adds versatility, size and speed in all positions,” Merchant said in a release. 

Committing alongside Hagemann was forward and Canadian recruit Isaline Alexander, center Brooklyn Rewers, whose older sister, Lauren, is a graduate transfer senior on MSU. The class is rounded out by 2021 forward Lauren Walker from Marietta, Georgia.

Here is what Merchant had to say about each recruit:

Brooklyn Rewers

“We are thrilled to have another ‘Rewers’ in the Spartan family,” Merchant said in a release. “Her size and ability to score with contact will translate well in the Big Ten. She is a mobile big and a shot blocker that will have a definite impact in the paint for us defensively.”

Rewers is a 6-4 center out of Idaho that averaged 18.7 points, 10.1 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game.

Her sister, Lauren, transferred during the offseason from Hawai'i. Brooklyn was an all-state player her junior season at Lake City High School in Idaho.

Isa Alexander

“Isa is an athletic, powerful forward who has multiple skill sets that will make her effective right away at our level. She’s a phenomenal rebounder and plays with physicality and toughness. Her Team Canada international experience has and will continue to enhance her ability to be impactful as a Spartan as well as compete at a high-level year round,” Merchant said. 

At 6-3 Alexander brings ball skills and international level play experience for MSU. She was the No. 6 recruit in Canada, according to the Crown Queens Report and averaged 18 points and 9.3 rebounds her junior year.

As a member of the U16 Canadian National Team, Alexander averaged 7.7 points and 8.2 rebounds.

Damiya Hagemann

“We couldn’t be more excited to have Dee Dee join our Spartan family,” Merchant said in the release. “She’s a dynamic playmaker, plays with great passion and competitiveness, along with tremendous leadership skills that will make an impact immediately on the court at Michigan State."

Hagemann is the headliner for the 2021 class for the Spartans as the No. 23 overall recruit out of Detroit Edison, according to ESPNW.

Edison went 23-0 with Hagemann as their point guard during the 2019-20 season where Hagemann averaged 12.1 points, 7.3 assists and 3.0 steals per game.

During both the 2019 and 2020 seasons, Hagemann was named a Div. 2 MHSAA All-State selection.

Lauren Walker

“We love Lauren’s versatility and size as a face up 4 or a big guard in our system. She can shoot the ball from the arc extremely well and has the ability to defensive rebound and push the ball up the floor on our break,” Merchant said. “Her work ethic is truly impressive, and we are excited to have her become part of the Spartan family.”

Walker is from Marietta, Georgia, which is also the home of freshman MSU football receiver Ricky White.

She averaged a double-double during her junior year with 14.3 points and 11.5 rebounds a game, earning all-state honors during the year.

Walker is 6-foot-2 and plans to play forward for the Spartans.

Share and discuss “MSU women's hoops gets four signees on National Signing Day” on social media.