Midwest governors urge safety ahead of the holidays

Bipartisan governors from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin urge safety before holidays. Image courtesy of Michigan Executive Office of the Governor.
Bipartisan governors from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin urge safety before holidays. Image courtesy of Michigan Executive Office of the Governor. —

A bipartisan group of governors — including Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer — have joined together to urge residents to stay safe ahead of the holiday season. 

As coronavirus cases are reaching record-high numbers, the group of seven Midwest governors — made of five Democrats and two Republicans — released a video on social media asking residents to follow precautions and mask up to mitigate the spread of the virus. 

“For eight months, the COVID-19 pandemic has devastated American families everywhere,” the governors said in a press release. “To fight this virus, governors across the country have listened to medical experts, stepped up, and worked around the clock to protect our families, the brave men and women on the front lines, and our small business owners. And no matter the action we take, we understand that our fight against COVID-19 will be more effective when we work together.

“That is why this group of bipartisan governors is joining forces today to urge families across our region, and Americans everywhere, to do their part to protect themselves and their families from the spread of COVID-19. When it comes to fighting this virus, we are all on the same team.”

In the video, the governors addressed the skyrocketing cases across the Midwest and acknowledged that as the winter months near, cases will expectedly continue to rise.

As of Nov. 17, Michigan has reported a total of 296,840 cases and 8,511 deaths related to COVID-19, according to the Michigan coronavirus website. On Nov. 17, the state reported 7,893 new cases and 76 new deaths. 

An order issued by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, or MDHHS, that requires face masks, limits gatherings and closed indoor dining in bars and restaurants went into effect today in an attempt to mitigate the spread of the virus before the holidays. 

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb said that it is crucial to keep the infection rate low so the vaccine can be distributed as quickly as possible when it is ready.

While vaccine trials appear hopeful, as Pfizer’s final analysis of its coronavirus vaccination shows it is 95% effective and caused no serious safety concerns, according to CNN.

Pfizer said it will seek emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration within days. 

Until the vaccine is ready, however, the governors are urging their residents to mask up and stay safe. 

“When it comes to fighting this virus, we are all on the same team,” Whitmer said in the video. “Let’s make sure to stay smart and stay safe this winter. We will get through this together.”

Share and discuss “Midwest governors urge safety ahead of the holidays” on social media.