FINAL: Iowa blasts Michigan State, 49-7

<p>Freshman cornerback Davion Williams (14) celebrates a downed punt during the game against Michigan on Nov. 16, 2019, at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines, 44-10.</p>

Freshman cornerback Davion Williams (14) celebrates a downed punt during the game against Michigan on Nov. 16, 2019, at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Wolverines, 44-10.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Things could not have gone much worse for the Spartans in Iowa City, as the Spartans fell to the Iowa Hawkeyes, 49-7 Saturday afternoon.

In the first half, Iowa got out the gates early on their first drive despite missing their star wideout Ihmir Smith-Marsette. After a series of chunk yardage gains, the Hawkeyes found the endzone early to take a 7-0 lead. On the Spartans' first drive, quarterback Rocky Lombardi was hurried out of the pocket and forced the ball downfield for his first interception of the day.

Iowa would capitalize on the turnover, taking an early 14-0 lead with both their the defense and offense dominating early.

Then the Iowa special teams unit decided they wanted to join the party too.

During Michigan State’s second punt of the day, Iowa’s Charlie Jones returned the punt inside the Spartans half of the field. The Hawkeyes were set up for another score, and capitalized on the good field position, putting the Hawkeyes up 21-0.

Michigan State’s only form of offense on the day was the deep ball. Lombardi began a drive with 5:47 left in the first half, finding Jalen Nailor for a 56-yard gain. After the big play, the drive stalled out after a series of run plays by Elijah Collins that didn’t move the chains. Kicker Matt Coghlin had a chance to score, but his 48-yard field goal went wide left.

Iowa’s special teams continued to be a spark for the squad. Michigan State punter Bryce Baringer was backed up in his own endzone and he booted away a line drive punt to Jones once again. Jones, with Michigan State’s special teams with their back to the play, turned up field and found paydirt to push the lead to 28 with just under two minutes remaining.

Michigan State needed to find a spark before the half, but they couldn’t find it as Lombardi threw his third interception of the first half as it was returned for six, letting the Hawkeyes take a 35-0 lead into the half.

Michigan State’s deep ball potential brought the Spartans back into play in the second half. After a near disaster scoop and score for the Hawkeyes, the officials overturned the call. Lombardi was able to find Nailor once again on the deep ball for 57 yards. 

This time, the Spartans would score off of the long dreaded jet sweep to the short side play to former punter turned tight end Tyler Hunt, to cut the lead back to 28.

Iowa remained locked in, as running back Tyler Goodson burst up the middle for a 71-yard run, setting up for 1st and goal. Goodson would finish the drive with another run up the middle to essentially finish the Spartans early in the second half by leading 42-7.

After Iowa extended the lead to 49-7, the Spartans were looking to wrap up the game, and substituted redshirt freshman Peyton Thorne in for Lombardi late in the fourth quarter. The Spartans would turn the ball over on downs as Thorne missed an open Hunt for the first down.

The Spartans finished the day with one of their worst offensive performances on the season. 

Lombardi would finish his return to his home state of Iowa with 16 completions on 36 attempts, 0 touchdowns and three interceptions.

The Spartans played against Iowa without a few key players including starters Matt Allen and Chris Jackson and key role players Tre Mosley and tight end Matt Dotson.

Iowa, after struggling on offense in their first two matchups, torched the Michigan State defense for 404 yards and no turnovers in their efficient outing. Iowa will look to carry that into their next matchup against Minnesota.

Iowa had standouts all over the field. Goodson finished the day with 113 yards on the group and two touchdowns. Quarterback Stephen Petras after struggling in his debut games controlled the offense, finishing with 15 completions on 27 attempts, one touchdown and no interceptions.

Iowa’s defense in a standout performance finished with three interceptions, two sacks, and seven tackles for loss. 

Michigan State will look to bounce back against the surging Indiana Hoosiers next week at home.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Iowa blasts Michigan State, 49-7” on social media.