EL City Council votes unanimously to continue the state of emergency

Two people walk in downtown East Lansing wearing their masks August 24, 2020.
Two people walk in downtown East Lansing wearing their masks August 24, 2020. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

East Lansing City Council voted unanimously during the Tuesday meeting to extend the local state of emergency and requirement of masks in the downtown area.

"I understand the importance of public safety, public health," Mayor Aaron Stephens said in the meeting. "I do believe this is the right path going forward, at least for the time being. I appreciate those who are abiding by this rule."

Under this new order and Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-153, masks will be required at all times in all public spaces both inside and outdoors in the DDA district. According to the Executive Order 2020-153, masks are also required in all indoor public spaces and all crowded outdoor public spaces throughout the remainder of the community, including the East Lansing Farmers Market. This order will remain in effect until Oct. 31, 2020.

"Having the rule in place, setting a standard that both on campus and off campus high-population areas, you have to wear a mask inside or outside because you will most likely be in close proximity to other people is an important step we need to have in place," Stephens said in the meeting.

fb-img-1602085755699

Signs have been installed at many entry points of the DDA district as well as throughout the downtown and inside parking garages to notify visitors that masks are required. Also many sidewalks have been chalked with reminders to wear a mask.

"Just when I think about walking around in that area — we walk around in crowds typically — friends are with friends and it's harder to maneuver around folks," Council Member Dana Watson said. "For those who feel unsafe or want to keep themselves safe it just makes sense that we continue to enforce the masks."

The mask requirement does not apply to those who are younger than five years old, people who cannot medically tolerate a mask, those who are seated at a table/food service establishment and are eating or drinking, those who are exercising, when wearing a mask would interfere with the activity and those who are voting in an election at a polling place.

Share and discuss “EL City Council votes unanimously to continue the state of emergency ” on social media.