MSU women's basketball team lands 4-star recruit Damiya Hagemann for 2021

<p>Head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant reacts to a non-call against Nebraska. She would be given a technical foul for her reaction to the play. The Spartans defeated the Cornhuskers, 78-70, at the Breslin Student Events Center on Dec. 31, 2019.</p>

Head women's basketball coach Suzy Merchant reacts to a non-call against Nebraska. She would be given a technical foul for her reaction to the play. The Spartans defeated the Cornhuskers, 78-70, at the Breslin Student Events Center on Dec. 31, 2019.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Everyone knows men’s basketball Head Coach Tom Izzo is a great recruiter, but women’s basketball Head Coach Suzy Merchant has landed her fair share of top recruits too. Her case got even better Friday when four-star recruit Damiya Hagemann announced her commitment to Michigan State on Twitter. 

Hagemann is currently going into her senior year at Detroit Edison Public School Academy. The 5-foot-7-inch point guard is the second-highest ranked player in the state of Michigan behind Morasha Wiggins and the 14th ranked point guard in the country, according to ESPN rankings

Last year, Hagemann averaged 12.1 points and 7.3 assists per game while leading her team to an outstanding 23-0 record. 

“Michigan State's Coach Suzy (Merchant) was one of my first offers," Hagemann said in an interview with 247sports. "Our bond was really there. I go there a couple of times a year. They are like a second home to me. For a while, we didn't talk that much, then our relationship got back on track. And I really love Suzy to death. And I really think they need a point guard to get to the Sweet 16, Final Four." 

The commitment by Hagemann to the Spartans caught the attention of the MSU community including MSU alumnus Cassius Winston.

Hagemann chose Michigan State over other offers from Louisville, Florida State, Clemson, Kentucky, Mississippi State and Ole Miss. 

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball team lands 4-star recruit Damiya Hagemann for 2021” on social media.