AG launches investigation into Unlock Michigan, spokesperson calls it a sham

Michigan Attorney General, Dana Nessel address the crowd after some technical difficulties during the Women’s March On Lansing 2020 Jan. 18, 2020, hosted by the Blue Brigade.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel launched an investigation into Unlock Michigan, a campaign aiming to repeal the 1945 Emergency Powers of the Governor Act, according to a statement from Nessel.

The investigation launched after complaints from Michigan residents who said they were deceived by those gathering Unlock Michigan petition signatures.

"Media reports have also revealed what appears to be at least one official working for the Unlock Michigan campaign who was training petition circulators and suggested they use deceptive and potentially illegal tactics to gain signatures for the ballot initiative," the statement said.

Recently, an article by the Detroit Free Press showed a video secretly recorded by a Keep Michigan Safe representative. The group opposes the Unlock Michigan campaign.

"Residents said they were told the petitions were to support LGBTQ rights, for medical marijuana initiatives or to help small businesses, among other things," the statement said.

Unlock Michigan Spokesperson Fred Wszolek said the organization's petition is simple and clear.

"We flatly reject the idea that our circulators have been deceptive. Our petition language is precisely one sentence long," Wszolek said in an email statement.

According to Wszolek, the petition circulated by Unlock Michigan is simple and the organization has "had no trouble collecting a record number of signatures in record time."

The Attorney General's office also received letters from the League of Women Voters and an attorney, John Pirich, calling for an investigation.

"It’s a partisan political farce, which is to be expected from this partisan political Attorney General," Wszolek said. "This sham investigation is designed to deprive Michigan citizens of their constitutional right to initiate legislation, but we’re not going to allow that to happen."

Any potential charges against Unlock Michigan will depend on whether criminal activity took place, the statement said.

"We're going to let the investigators do their work and see what they find," Attorney General Press Secretary Ryan Jarvi said.

Unlock Michigan plans to turn in petitions Oct. 2, according to the campaign's statement.

Share and discuss “AG launches investigation into Unlock Michigan, spokesperson calls it a sham” on social media.