Michigan State senior right tackle Jordan Reid announced via Twitter that he would be opting-out of the 2020 season, citing COVID-19 concerns. Reid also said that he will returning next year as a fifth-year senior after earning his degree this December.
Michigan State starting right tackle Jordan Reid opts-out of 2020 season due to COVID-19 concerns
"After thoughtful talks with my family, coaching staff and academic advisors I have decided to opt out for the 2020 football season," Reid said on Twitter. "I will be graduating in December with my undergrad and plan on coming back to MSU for my 5th year."
Reid is the second Michigan State football player to opt-out for the upcoming Big Ten conference-only season, joining defensive end Jacub Panasiuk who announced earlier this week. In a press conference yesterday, Head Coach Mel Tucker said that he was in talks with multiple players on opting-out because of the pandemic. Tucker says he supports his players with whatever decision they choose to make.
“I’m in discussion with a couple other players as well right now that may want to opt-out,” Tucker said. “That’s their individual decision, and whatever they decide to do, we’re going to support them.”
Reid, in his statement on Twitter, praised the coaching staff for their understanding.
“I would like to thank Coach Tucker and Coach Kapilovic for being understanding and supportive during these times,” Reid said. “With that being said, I wish my brothers the best of luck this season as I will be cheering them on!”
The senior right tackle voiced his concern about the upcoming season on Twitter in late July when he questioned why a season would be played with so many athletes testing positive.
Reid will be a big loss for the Spartans this season as he has started in 27 games at right tackle for an offensive line that has lacked consistency for the last two years because of injuries and depth.
If the Spartans do play football this season, they will do so against Minnesota on Sept. 5.