MSU athletics to cut pay for staff making $100,000 or greater, including Tom Izzo and Mel Tucker

<p>Bill Beekman speaks at a July 16, 2018, press conference announcing his appointment as MSU&#x27;s permanent athletic director.</p>

Bill Beekman speaks at a July 16, 2018, press conference announcing his appointment as MSU's permanent athletic director.

Photo by Katie O'Brien Kelley | The State News

Michigan State University athletics announced temporary pay cuts Thursday for any staff member making $100,000 or greater for the next year. MSU Athletic Director Bill Beekman will be taking a 10% pay cut, head men’s basketball coach Tom Izzo and head football coach Mel Tucker will each take a 7% pay cut.

"Although there is uncertainty about what the future holds, and impactful decisions are yet to be made, it's safe to say that we will experience a significant reduction in revenue in the year ahead," Beekman said. "I know this decision will impact staff members and their families, but the unfortunate reality is that we cannot make the budget reductions we'll need to make without impacting our team. It's part of a shared sacrifice that will benefit the entire athletic department, allowing us to remain student-focused and ensuring the health, safety and wellness of all within the department while navigating the challenges ahead."

Normal staff members making more than $100,000 will be subject to a tiered pay cut based on their salary. 

MSU, when approving a budget for the upcoming academic year, had also made a $11,000,000 budget cut to the athletic program for the 2020-2021 year.

This decision comes after last week's announcement from the Big Ten that they would be moving to a conference-only schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic. MSU is not the first to make pay cuts in college football either with rival Michigan making a similar decision in late June.

Share and discuss “MSU athletics to cut pay for staff making $100,000 or greater, including Tom Izzo and Mel Tucker” on social media.