ELPD officer use of force case reassigned to second special prosecutor

<p>An East Lansing police car photographed on March 10, 2020. </p>

An East Lansing police car photographed on March 10, 2020.

The Washtenaw County Prosecuting Attorney has been appointed as a special prosecutor to a case involving East Lansing Police Officer Andrew Stephenson, according to Washtenaw County's Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Steven Hiller.

"This office is still awaiting receipt of some of the materials associated with the investigation," Hiller said. "Once all materials have been received, the evidence will be carefully reviewed and any necessary legal research will be completed."

Michigan State Police submitted a warrant request last month to the Ingham County Prosecutor's Office asking for the review of Stephenson's actions regarding a December 2019 traffic stop.

The traffic stop involved Stephenson's interaction with Anthony Loggins.

Loggins was initially charged with resisting and obstructing a police officer. However, Loggins' charges were dropped upon further notification to Ingham County Prosecutor's Office about Loggins' use of force complaint against Stephenson.

After dropping Loggins' charges, Ingham County Prosecutor's Office filed a petition with the attorney general's office to assign a special prosecutor to Stephenson's case last month.

Last week, the Michigan attorney general's office appointed the Jackson County prosecutor to this case. However, it is unclear why a new special prosecutor was assigned.

"The Jackson County prosecutor reconsidered taking the case, but we have no info on why and will not speculate. It will be handled by the Washtenaw County prosecutor," attorney general's office Press Secretary Ryan Jarvi said.

Hiller said the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office cannot predict how long the review process will take at this time.

"As in all criminal cases submitted to this office, we will take the time necessary to review the case thoroughly and fairly," Hiller said.

The Jackson County prosecutor could not be reached for comment at the time of publication.

Share and discuss “ELPD officer use of force case reassigned to second special prosecutor” on social media.