Michigan State begins implementing online and in-person instruction schedules

MSU's schedule builder reopens June 29

<p>Students leave the Eppley Center after an email is released notifying students that classes after noon have been canceled on March 11, 2020.</p>

Students leave the Eppley Center after an email is released notifying students that classes after noon have been canceled on March 11, 2020.

Photo by Alyte Katilius | The State News

Associate provost Mark Largent sent an email to Michigan State students Friday to update them on fall 2020 classes and 2020-2021 class enrollment, following the intention to hold in-person classes this fall.

"In order for us to do this safely and in compliance with limitations we expect will be placed on us by state officials and public health agencies, we will have to make significant changes to the fall’s class schedule," Largent wrote in the email. "These changes will increase the number of online and hybrid course as well as the options for students to take classes at different times of the day and days of the week."

On Wednesday, current MSU students were sent an email from the Office of the Registrar that the enrollment system will be down from June 11 to June 28, due to incoming students enrolling in their classes during New Student Orientations, which are being held virtually.

Earlier than most years, the system will reopen to returning students June 29.

From now until when the system reopens, faculty will be reviewing their classes to put about half of them online, about a quarter to a hybrid mode of instruction and move the remaining in-person classes into larger rooms to allow for six-foot physical distancing.

By the time the system opens up again, most fall courses will be identified as either online, hybrid or in-person.

Thoughout July, there will be changes made to the days and times of many in-person classes as the six-foot physical distancing rules will require the in-person classes to be smaller or to be moved to larger rooms. They will also try to offer classes earlier and later in the day and probably some lab classes on Saturdays.

Students can view updates to the classes they have already enrolled in on MSU's Schedule of Courses.

Largent said he recommends students keep an eye on the classes they have enrolled in over the next two months to make sure they catch if a class's time and date no longer fits their schedule.

He also said academic advisers are the best source for definitive answers to questions about the appropriate classes for each student. Additionally, international students will be given more guidance from the Office for International Students and Scholars. 

Faculty will spend the remainder of the summer participating in professional development programs for online and hybrid learning to ensure the best instruction in these circumstances.

"We know that you value the experience of being on campus as well as the relationships, conversations and connections with other students, faculty and staff," Largent stated in the email. "We value them as well, and we are looking forward to seeing you in the fall."

Share and discuss “Michigan State begins implementing online and in-person instruction schedules” on social media.