Michigan State's Career Services Network to hold virtual workshops

<p>Students talk to businesses at the Diversity Career Fair.</p>

Students talk to businesses at the Diversity Career Fair.

Photo by Zach Brown | The State News

Michigan State University's Career Services Network will be hosting a Summer Session One Virtual Workshop Series to assist students and recent graduates in the virtual job search process.

There are six individual workshops that will all be held via Zoom from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on their respective days. Students will have to preregister for each workshop separately through their Handshake account to receive the Zoom links.

The workshops are:

May 21: "Detours Ahead: Your Career and COVID-19"

With the cancellation of many summer internships due to COVID-19, students will receive advice on seeking alternate career related experiences and how to describe those experiences in their resumes. This workshop will run from 3:30 to 4:30 via Zoom. 

May 26: "Gaining Experience For Your Career Success"

This workshop will give students different ways to gain practical experience to strengthen their resumes. These include paid and volunteer opportunities.

May 27 and June 11: "Sharing Your Story: Writing Resumes and Cover Letters"

Students will have the opportunity to connect with Career Services Network professionals to learn how to write an effective resume and cover letter.

June 1: "Virtual Interviewing: Preparing for Video, Phone, and Artificial Intelligence Interviews"

With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent stay-at-home order, most jobs are conducting virtual interviews. This workshop will share tips on preparing for and navigating these virtual interviews.

June 16: "Grad and Professional School: Preparing, Exploring and Applying"

Students will be able to gain insight into the graduate school application process, including when to apply, how to compare programs and how to finance their professional degree. This workshop is from 3 to 3:30 p.m. via Zoom.

The goal of the virtual workshop series is to help students and recent graduates adjust to the job market and think outside the box when gaining experience during a time of economic downturn.

“We have implemented the summer workshop series to provide continued career education opportunities for students and recent graduates, as we adjust to the current job market and hiring practices,” Kristi Coleman, director of Career Services Network, said in an email.

Though the use of virtual interviews during the first round of hiring decisions was on the rise before COVID-19, Coleman said she believes there will be a combination of virtual and in-person interviewing in the future.

“I believe that employers will continue to utilize online platforms to screen candidates, but not exclusively,” Coleman said in an email. “Once restrictions have been listed for travel and work, employers will remain interested in providing an option for on-site interviews to take place within their hiring process.”

Students are encouraged to contact their career advisors in their respective colleges for more advice on virtual job searching. The Career Services Network is already planning to hold another workshop series in the late summer during Summer Session Two.

Share and discuss “Michigan State's Career Services Network to hold virtual workshops” on social media.