Coronavirus update: MSU suspends international, non-essential domestic travel

<p>This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed by electron microscope. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAMS</p>

This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. Note the spikes that adorn the outer surface of the virus, which impart the look of a corona surrounding the virion, when viewed by electron microscope. A novel coronavirus, named Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), was identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China in 2019. The illness caused by this virus has been named coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Alissa Eckert, MS; Dan Higgins, MAMS

President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. sent out an email to the Michigan State University community March 10 regarding the virus that causes COVID-19 after universities across the country began canceling in-person classes.

“MSU is preparing for a variety of possible scenarios and campus units have plans and resources in place for a potential outbreak,” Stanley said in the email. “The university is in constant contact with the Ingham County Health Department and continues to follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).”

The update included all of the ways MSU is preparing itself in the wake of the spread of coronavirus

This includes suspending all international travel and non-essential domestic travel, creating opportunities to move in-person instruction online and identifying ways to facilitate self-isolation for affected students. 

“It is OK to be concerned, and it is important to be prepared, but this is not a time for panic,” Stanley said in the email. “There are many rumors about possible cases in Michigan, but there are no confirmed cases in our state at this time.” 

The CDC predicts that COVID-19 will continue to spread in the United States.

“We want you to know that we are taking this seriously,” Stanley said in the email. “The health, safety and well-being of all our Spartan family is our top priority.” 

Share and discuss “Coronavirus update: MSU suspends international, non-essential domestic travel” on social media.