Board of Trustees approves budget increase for Munn Ice Arena expansion project

<p>The Spartans celebrate a goal during the game against Arizona on Dec. 14, 2019 at the Munn Ice Arena. The Sun Devils defeated the Spartans, 4-3.</p>

The Spartans celebrate a goal during the game against Arizona on Dec. 14, 2019 at the Munn Ice Arena. The Sun Devils defeated the Spartans, 4-3.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Munn Ice Arena is set to receive some significant upgrades this offseason, and Michigan State President Samuel L. Stanley, along with the Board of Trustees, recently approved a proposal to increase the budgeting for the expansion of the arena.

Approved on Feb. 14, the authorized proposal will increase the budget for the project known as “Munn Ice Arena - Expansion” from $18.8 million to over $23 million. The project was initially approved in June 2019 with a set budget of just under $19 million and a $1 million contingency.

The upgrades, which can be seen in the video below, will include an addition of 35,000 square feet to the arena and a renovated public entrance. There will be a “Hall of Hockey” commemorating prominent Spartan players and teams from the past, highlighting the success of the program. Players will get to enjoy a new weight room to use at their disposal, a team lounge and a hydro room with televisions. Coaches and other staff members will have their offices moved from the basement to the first floor, while the team will get a new-and-improved locker room.

Construction on the arena began last August, and there have been several factors that have played into the need for more money invested into the project. It was a massive project to take on to begin with, and trying to work efficiently through harsh weather conditions and the hockey team’s regular season haven’t made things any easier. The pre-existing conditions of the arena were also poorer than expected, leading to a necessary change in the structure of the soil.

With a plan in place and the continuation of construction, the renovations to Munn are expected to be finished in totality by December 2020.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees approves budget increase for Munn Ice Arena expansion project” on social media.