Brian Quinn appointed MSU legal affairs VP

<p>Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.</p>

Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Michigan State President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. announced that Brian Quinn will be the university's new legal affairs vice president and general counsel.

Quinn is the third person to fulfill the role in two years. He follows Robert Young, appointed by ex-Interim President John Engler. Young was removed from his post in 2019.

Young held the position for about eight months, following Kristine Zayko's resignation shortly before a Detroit Free Press report was published that alleged she knew as early as 2005 of sexual harassment allegations brought against William Strampel, convicted former dean of MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Quinn has been acting in the position since Feb. 1, 2019. The position consists of educational programs, contract review and advice regarding state and federal law, according to an MSU Today press release.

His appointment will be confirmed by the Board of Trustees at its meeting Friday. Stanley said in a statement that Quinn is the right choice to fill the position.

“Since I became president I have been impressed by Brian’s knowledge and thoughtfulness in providing legal guidance as well as his calm demeanor,” Stanley said the release. “Brian breaks down complicated legal situations with ease and consistently operates in the best interest of our community.”

Quinn has been involved with the legal team since 2016. He began as a partner at the Honigman, Miller, Schwartz & Cohn law firm and worked for a Michigan Supreme Court Justice as a judicial clerk prior to working for Michigan State. 

“Brian’s ability to break down complex legal situations with a calm demeanor, and his consistency in operating in the best interest of our community made him the right person for this role at MSU,” University Spokesperson Dan Olsen said via email.

Share and discuss “Brian Quinn appointed MSU legal affairs VP” on social media.