The suspicions are confirmed.
Redshirt sophomore forward Joey Hauser’s Instagram post Wednesday night that read “until next year” started to validate inklings that the Marquette transfer would be declared ineligible by the NCAA.
Head Coach Tom Izzo finally confirmed his status Thursday.
"First and foremost, Joey was denied his appeal, his waiver appeal," Izzo said. "I've never been in favor of the transfer and not-sit-out rule. I'm not in favor in the portal."
The NCAA granted Hauser an interview “somewhere after the 18th,” according to Izzo, on his third appeal of eligibility for the 2019-20 season.
Hauser averaged 9.7 points on 5.3 rebounds in his freshman season at Marquette. Most notable, though, is his three-shooting ability, one which produced a 42.5% from beyond the arc last year. Izzo has spoken highly of Hauser’s shooting ability in practice as the forward has manned the scout team and contested with the starters.
"Joey didn't come here because he thought he was going to play right away. There was not even any talk about that," Izzo said.
"But as waivers started to pile up as the summer went on, Joey and his family felt they had a strong case. I don't really appreciate when some people are getting waivers and other people aren't. And all the research I've seen, the consistency in the guidelines for this seem absurd. There's arbitrary decisions being made. What bothers me the most is they're being made by individuals who don't really understand what's going on in our game and aren't around the student athletes on a daily basis."
The Spartans, shooting 29.5% from long range, will miss his shooting skill, especially after losing senior guard Josh Langford until January at the earliest. Freshman guard Rocket Watts has struggled in his stead, shooting 17.6% from three.