Zachary Winston, brother of MSU guard Cassius Winston, dies after being struck by train

Senior guard Cassius Winston (left) and his brother, Zachary Winston, pose for photos following MSU’s win over Albion College. The Spartans defeated the Britons, 85-50, at half at the Breslin Student Events Center on October 29, 2019.
Senior guard Cassius Winston (left) and his brother, Zachary Winston, pose for photos following MSU’s win over Albion College. The Spartans defeated the Britons, 85-50, at half at the Breslin Student Events Center on October 29, 2019. —
Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

As the Spartans prepared for their home opener against Binghamton, tragedy befell the Winston family. 

Late Saturday night, Zachary Winston, brother of Michigan State guard Cassius Winston, was hit and killed by an Amtrak train in Albion, Michigan.

After further police investigation, Albion Public Safety Chief Scott Kipp was able to confirm to The State News that the train was traveling westbound when Zachary Winston was walking on the pedestrian walkway, then walked in front of the Amtrak train as it passed by.

"Service on an Amtrak train 355 was temporarily suspended after it came into contact with a person on the track," Kimberly Woods from Amtrak Media Relations said in an emailed statement to The State News. "The incident happened at around 8:41 p.m. on Nov. 9 in Albion, Mich. The train did resume service after a delay of four hours and 45 minutes."

There were no reported injuries to passengers or crew members, Woods said. At the time of the incident, 65 customers were on the train.

Sophomore Zachary Winston was a guard for the Albion men’s basketball team, averaging 2.6 points per game in just under fourteen minutes.  

Michigan State faced off against the Britons on Oct. 29 in an exhibition game that was truly a family affair as Cassius Winston was able to face off against his two younger brothers, Zachary Winston and Khy Winston. 

Zachary Winston was unable to play due to an injury, but was able to play in the Britons' home opener where he scored three points in 15 minutes of action. 

An outpouring of support has come from the Spartan community on Twitter, including from former star players Miles Bridges and Nick Ward. 

"Our hearts are filled with sorrow for the Winston family," said MSU men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo in a statement on behalf of the program. "Their pain over the sudden loss of Zachary is unimaginable. It’s impossible to find the right words in this moment, other than to say that we will support the family in whatever way they need."

Men's basketball Assistant Head Coach Dane Fife also gave his condolences to the Winston family on Twitter early this morning. 

At this time, it is unclear whether Cassius Winston will play Sunday against Binghamton.

This is a developing story. In our reporting, we'll focus on credible information from officials and other authorities and do our best to correct any inaccuracies. We'll continue to update this story, check back for more updates and keep up with us on Twitter @thesnews. 

Share and discuss “Zachary Winston, brother of MSU guard Cassius Winston, dies after being struck by train” on social media.